Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Residential Zones:
1. Single-Family Residential Zone (R-1) and (R-2H); and Single-Family and Two-Family Residential Zones (R-2 and R-3): Off street parking may be permitted in driveways in the front, side, and rear yards of permitted uses in the R-1 and R-3 Zones and in the rear yard in the R-2 Zone, provided all requirements of this ordinance are met. No off street parking area, located in the front yard in a single family residential zone, may exceed 400 square feet (two parking spaces) except, however, the zoning administrator may allow additional off street parking spaces to be located thereon provided that the additional parking spaces will not cause the ratio of unpaved area to paved area (parking and driveway areas) in the front yard to be less than 3:1. Where single or two family dwellings, which are permitted herein and are existing at the time of adoption of this Ordinance, occupy a lot of such size that off street parking could not be provided on the same lot or zoning lot as the use being served, said off street parking may be permitted to locate within a distance not to exceed three hundred (300) feet from said dwelling or dwellings upon approval of the Zoning Administrator. In addition, said off street parking lot shall be located in the same zone as the use being served and constructed in accordance with SECTION 13.0 of this Ordinance. Off street parking as required for conditional uses permitted in the Residential (R) Zones may be permitted to locate on another site other than the same site as the conditionally permitted use is located, when approved by the Board of Adjustment, provided that said parking is located within reasonable walking distance to the conditionally permitted use and available at all times, exclusively for the use being served.
2. Multi Family Residential Zones:
a. R-2 and R-3 Districts: No off-street parking may be permitted in front yards in this zone except for drive-ways connecting a rear parking area. However, only the Board of Adjustments may, in its discretion, permit the ratio of unpaved area to paved area (parking and drive-way area) to be less than a three to one ration.
b. R-4 and R-5: Off street parking may be permitted in side or rear yards of permitted uses in these zones, provided that off street parking facilities shall be set back a minimum of ten (10) feet from the rear lot line. Off street parking may be permitted in required front yard, only if approved according to an approved development plan.
Multi-family dwellings existing at the time of adoption of this Ordinance may supply off street parking within three hundred (300) feet from such lot or zoning lot served upon approval of the Planning and Zoning Commission, providing that such off street parking is located within the same zone as the establishment being served and that off street parking requirements of this Ordinance are complied with at all times. Further, the applicant must also show sufficient proof that such off street parking facilities would be impossible to provide the required off street parking space, as required herein, on the same lot or zoning lot or contiguous to the same lot or zoning lot as the building being served.
B. Special Development Zones (CO, PUD, and CCO) off street parking shall be located as designated on the approved development plan.
C. Commercial and Industrial Zones: (CBD, SC, NC, PO, CBDF, RFD, I-1 and I-2): All off street parking facilities shall be located on the same lot or zoning lot as the building served except for the following:
Off street parking facilities for uses permitted in the CBD, RFD, PO, MC and CBDF Zone may be located on another zoning lot than the building or use being served is located providing such off street parking requirements of this Ordinance are complied with at all times. Off street parking shall be provided within six hundred and fifty (650) feet of the building or use for which the parking is provided. Any use permitted in an industrial zone may supply off street parking on the same lot or zoning lot, or within three hundred (300) feet from such lot or zoning lot served upon approval of the Planning and Zoning Commission, providing that such off street parking is located within the same zone as the establishment being served and that off street parking requirements of this Ordinance are complied with at all times. Further, the applicant must also show sufficient proof that such off street parking space would be impossible to provide, as required herein, on the same lot or zoning lot or contiguous to the same lot or zoning lot as the building being served.
D. Other Requirements
1. Collective Parking Provision Collective off street parking facilities shall not be less than would otherwise be individually required.
2. Driveways Not Computed As Part of Required Parking Area Entrances, exits, or driveways shall not be computed as any part of a required parking lot or area, except in the case of single family residential zones, where access driveways may be used for parking.
3. Off Street Parking Space To Be Used For Parking only any vehicle parking space shall be used for parking only. Any other use of such space, including repair work or servicing of any kind other than in an emergency, or the requirement of any payment for the use of such space, shall be deemed to constitute a separate commercial use in violation of the provisions of this ordinance.
4. No Building To Be Erected in Off Street Parking Space No building of any kind shall be erected in any off street lot except a parking garage containing parking spaces equal to the requirements set forth in this section of the ordinance or a shelter house booth for parking attendant providing the number of spaces required are not reduced.
5. Parking Plan Approval Required Plans for all parking lot facilities, including parking garages, shall be submitted to the zoning administrator for review and for compliance with the provisions of this ordinance and such other pertinent ordinances of the City. Such plans shall show the number of spaces and arrangements of parking aisles, location of access points onto adjacent streets, provisions for vehicular and pedestrian circulation, location of sidewalks and curbs on or adjacent to the property, utilities, location of shelters for parking attendant, locations of signs, typical cross sections of pavement, including base and sub base; (in accordance with Appendix A attached hereto and made part of this Ordinance by reference) and proposed grade of parking lot, storm drainage facilities, location and type of lighting facilities and such other information or plans as the circumstances may warrant. Where such parking plans include provisions for access points to adjacent streets, then said plan shall also be prepared in accordance with the requirements of Section 13.3.
(Am. Ord. O-04-05, passed 5-17-2004)