Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Council hereby declares its intention that sidewalks shall generally be constructed along all public streets in all areas of the Village not presently serviced by sidewalks in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
(Ord. 01-06. Passed 8-14-01.)
(b) For purposes of the Village-wide sidewalk construction program, the Village is divided into four quadrants, formed by the intersections of State Routes 162 and 60 as they cross within the Village of New London. Being denominated as that South-East, South-West, North- West, and North-East quadrants of the Village. It is Council’s intention that new sidewalks shall be constructed according to the following timetable:
(1) Within the South-East quadrant, on or before June 1, 2002;
(2) Within the South-West quadrant, on or before June 1, 2003;
(3) Within the North-West quadrant, on or before August 1, 2006;
(4) Within the North-East quadrant, on or before August 1, 2006.
(Ord. 04-09. Passed 5-4-04.)
(c) On or before February 1, 2002, and for each year thereafter through 2005, the Village Administrator shall cause plans, specifications, and an estimate of cost for the proposed sidewalk work for the respective quadrant designated in subsection (b), above, to be prepared and filed with the Clerk-Treasurer according to Ohio Revised Code Section 729.02. In determining where sidewalks are to be constructed, the Administrator shall consider these guidelines:
(1) In the areas surrounding municipal parks, sidewalks shall lead only to the entrances, and shall not continue within the park grounds. In the area of the reservoir, “bike paths” may be substituted for sidewalks.
(2) Along “dead-end” streets, sidewalks may be constructed directly adjacent to the curb; curbs may be required where they do not presently exist.
The Administrator may include within the scope of the proposed work for any year repair of existing sidewalks located anywhere within the Village which have been identified as needing repairs.
(d) After the Village Administrator has filed the plans, specifications, and estimate of cost with the Clerk-Treasurer, normally on or before the first meeting in March of each year, the Council may enact a resolution of necessity satisfying the requirements specified in Ohio Revised Code Section 729.02. This resolution shall:
(1) Approve the plans, specifications, and estimate of cost of the proposed construction or repair on file;
(2) Describe the lots and lands abutting upon the sidewalks, curbs, or gutters to be constructed or repaired by the termini of the improvement or by street address;
(3) Set forth that such sidewalks, curbs, or gutters shall be constructed or repaired by the owners of the lots or lands abutting thereon in accordance with the specifications on file in the office of the Clerk-Treasurer;
(4) Set forth the time within which such sidewalks, curbs, or gutters shall be constructed or repaired by the owners of the lots and lands abutting thereon, which shall not be less than thirty days from the date of service of notice on the owner of the lots or lands;
(5) State that in the event such sidewalks, curbs, or gutters are not constructed or repaired by the owners of the lots and lands abutting thereon in accordance with such plans and specifications and within the time prescribed in this resolution, the Village will so construct or repair such sidewalks, curbs, or gutters and assess the cost thereof against the lots and lands abutting thereon.
(e) Upon the passage of the resolution of necessity, the Clerk-Treasurer shall cause a notice to be served upon the owners of the lots effected, in accordance with the requirements of Ohio Revised Code Section 729.03.
(f) Upon the expiration of the time provided to each landowner to construct or repair sidewalks as specified, the Village Administrator shall cause the same work to be done according to law.
(g) Upon completion of any such construction or repair of sidewalks, the total costs of construction, repairs, or installation shall be ascertained and reported to the Council by the Clerk-Treasurer; whereupon, the Council shall proceed to cause a list of estimated assessments to be prepared such list shall include the total cost of such construction, repair, or installation to each lot or land abutting upon such construction, repair, or installation and shall be filed in the office of the Clerk-Treasurer and be available for public inspection.
(h) The Clerk-Treasurer shall cause a notice to be published for three consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the Village stating that such list of estimated assessments has been made and is on file in the office of the Clerk-Treasurer for the inspection and examination of persons interested therein. If any person objects to an assessment on such list, he shall file his objection in writing with the Clerk-Treasurer within two weeks after the expiration of the notice.
(i) The Clerk-Treasurer shall deliver the objections received to the Council. The Council shall review the written objections and shall adopt an ordinance levying upon the lots and lands enumerated in the list of estimated assessments the amounts set forth on such list with such changes or corrections as the Council shall determine to be proper after consideration of the written objections filed. Such ordinance shall state the number of annual installments, not exceeding ten, over which the assessments shall be payable and shall establish a period of time during which the assessments shall be payable cash. Thereafter, the Clerk-Treasurer shall cause all steps necessary as provided by law, including but not limited to Section 729.10, Ohio Revised Code, to be taken in order to perfect and collect the assessments as levied by Council.
(j) Nothing in the foregoing provisions shall prevent the Village or the Council from proceeding in any other manner authorized by State law to construct or repair sidewalks or to compel the payment therefor by any landowners.
(Ord. 01-06. Passed 8-14-01.)