Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Site Plan. A site plan shall be submitted when there is an addition, expansion, or change in use on a property or within a building (see §§ 16.64.020B.-C.). The site plan must be drawn to scale and show required parking facilities as required by this Ordinance, regardless if paved surfacing is required (see § 16.64.030E.), as well as any planned overflow parking areas, landscaping, and screening (see § 16.64.030H.).
B. Time of Completion. Parking facilities required by this Ordinance shall be completed prior to occupancy of the use served.
C. Stormwater Management.
1. All parking facilities shall comply with the Stormwater Management Ordinance.
2. Parking surfaces and parking lot access drives shall not be more than six (6) inches below the base flood elevation.
D. Minimum Dimension of Off-Street Parking Facilities. All off-street parking lots and structures shall provide appropriate means of vehicular access in a manner that limits interference with traffic movement and in a way that permits vehicles to enter or leave the lot or structure without having to move any other vehicle or back onto the street. Parking facilities shall be designed in accordance with Figure 16.64-1: Off-Street Parking Dimensions.
1. All required parking facilities shall have vehicular access from a street, alley, driveway, or cross-access easement connection.
2. A new access point, expanded access point, or changes in use require an access permit from the applicable township highway commissioner, McHenry County Division of Transportation, or the Illinois Department of Transportation, as applicable.No building permits will be issued until all applicable access permits have been obtained.
3. Driveways shall be a minimum of twelve (12) feet in width for one-way drives, and a minimum of twenty-four (24) feet in width for two-way drives in the R-3 zoning district, commercial zoning districts, and the office and industrial zoning districts.
4. All off-street parking spaces shall be accessed by a drive aisle that provides adequate means of vehicular access to the space.
5. For lots over twenty (20) parking spaces, the stall width on no more than thirty percent (30%) of parking spaces, other than parallel parking spaces, may be reduced from nine (9) feet to eight (8) feet provided that such spaces are identified as being restricted to compact cars.
6. All parking spaces shall have a minimum vertical clearance of seven (7) feet.
Figure 16.64-1: Off-Street Parking Dimensions
Parking Angle x°
Stall Width (a)
Stall Depth (b)
Skew Width (c)
Aisle Width Two-Way (d)
Aisle Width One-Way (e)
Overall Module Two-Way (f)
Overall Module One-Way (f)
E. Surfacing. Required parking facilities shall be paved with a dustless all-weather material, such as concrete, asphalt/blacktop, or brick/stone pavers, and may consist of a pervious material, subject to approval by the Zoning Enforcement Officer. Paving is not required for the following:
1. Parking facilities within the agricultural or residential zoning districts (excluding the R-3 District) except as required by federal or state regulations (e.g., the Illinois Accessibility Code) or when the property is used to satisfy required parking facilities requirements from another lot or parcel in a non-exempted zoning district.
2. Parking facilities for temporary uses.
3. Existing unpaved parking facilities, as of the effective date of this Ordinance.
4. Overflow parking areas reserved for parking demands in excess of required parking space minimums.
F. Pavement Marking. Paved parking facilities of fifteen (15) or more spaces shall delineate parking spaces with paint or other permanent materials, which shall be maintained in clearly visible condition. This Section applies whether the parking facilities are required to be paved by this Ordinance or have been paved voluntarily.
G. Curbing and Wheel Stops. Paved parking facilities of fifteen (15) or more spaces shall provide wheel stops or curbing to prevent vehicles from damaging or encroaching upon any adjacent sidewalk or landscape. Curbing shall be at least six (6) inches in height. This Section applies whether the parking facilities are required to be paved by this Ordinance or have been paved voluntarily.
H. Parking Lot Landscape. Parking lot landscape, when required by this Ordinance, must meet all requirements of § 16.60.030(Permitted Encroachments).
(Ord. O-201410-10-035, passed 10-14-2014; Ord. O-201601-ZBA-006, passed 1-19-2016; Ord. O-201603-ZBA-010, passed 3-17-2016, § 16.3; Ord. O-201803-ZBA-10-08, passed 3-19-2018; Ord. O-201808-10-033, passed 8-21-2018)