Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) General Restrictions. No person shall engage in the collection, removal, transportation, or disposal of solid waste or recyclable material in such a manner as to create a public nuisance (for example, littering or excessive noise), pollute the air, cause a discharge of pollutants to the waters of Loudoun County or otherwise impair the quality of the environment or create a hazard to the public safety, health, or well-being.
(b) Specifically Prohibited Acts. No person shall engage in any act specifically prohibited in this chapter to include, but not limited to the following:
(1) No person shall dispose of solid waste in Loudoun County except at an approved facility that has been specifically permitted by the Director to accept such waste.
(2) No collector, except those specifically excluded under this chapter, shall collect, remove, transport, or dispose of solid waste in Loudoun County without a valid permit issued by the Director.
(3) No collection vehicle shall be operated in Loudoun County for the purposes of performing collection services or recycling services without a valid permit issued under this chapter.
(4) No collection vehicle shall be operated in Loudoun County for the purposes of performing collection services or recycling services without the proper vehicle permits, insurance, license, and inspections as required by County, State, or Federal regulations.
(5) No collection vehicle shall be operated in such a manner as to allow solid waste or recyclable material to blow, spill, leak, fall, or be thrown onto or into any street, alley, sewer inlet, water body, public or private property, or any other area of the County that is not an approved facility or recycling facility.
(6) No permitted collector, unless specifically exempted under this chapter, shall fail to provide recycling services to any customer as required under this chapter.
(7) No permitted collector shall dispose of any source-separated recyclable material except at a recycling facility or approved facility for ultimate disposition as a recycled material.
(8) No permitted collector shall mix any source-separated recyclable material with solid waste.
(9) No permitted collector shall discontinue collection services or recycling services without written notification to the customer and the Director in accordance with this chapter.
(c) Penalty. The commission of a specifically prohibited act shall subject the person to administrative and/or judicial remedies and penalties as authorized in this chapter.
(Ord. 02-09. Passed 5-20-02.)