Skip to code content (skip section selection)
In the construction of the Codified Ordinances, the following rules and definitions shall control, excepting those inconsistent with the manifest intent of the Board of Supervisors as disclosed in a particular provision, section or chapter:
(1) Ordinance. “Adopting Ordinance” means the ordinance of the County adopting these Codified Ordinances, in conformity with Section 15.2-1433 of the Code of Virginia of 1950, as amended.
(2) Authority. Whenever in the Codified Ordinances authority is given to an officer or an act is required to be performed, such authority may be exercised and such act may be performed, at the instance of such officer, by a deputy or subordinate, unless contrary to law or to the clear intent of any such particular provision.
(3) Board. “Board” means the Board of Supervisors of the County, being the legislative authority of the County.
(4) Calendar; Computation of Time. The terms “month” and “year” mean the calendar month or year. The time expressed in days within which an act is to be done or a period is to expire shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day, unless the last day is a Sunday or legal holiday, in which case it shall be excluded and the time shall expire on the next week day. If time is expressed in hours, the whole of Sunday shall be excluded.
(5) Conjunctions. “And” includes “or” and “or” includes “and,” if the sense so requires.
(6) County. “County” means Loudoun County, Virginia.
(7) Gender. Words importing the masculine shall extend and be applied to the feminine and neuter genders, and words importing the feminine shall include the masculine and neuter.
(8) General Rule. Except as otherwise provided in this section, words and phrases shall be construed according to the common usage of the language, provided, however, that technical words and phrases and such others as may have acquired a special meaning in the law shall be construed according to such technical or special meaning.
(9) Joint Authority. Words giving authority to a board, commission or authority or to three or more officers or employees or other persons shall be construed as giving authority to a majority thereof, unless otherwise specifically provided.
(10) Keeper and Proprietor. “Keeper” and “proprietor” mean persons, firms, associations, corporations, clubs and copartnerships, whether acting by themselves or as a servant, agent or employee.
(11) Land and Real Estate. “Land” and “real estate” include rights and easements of an incorporeal nature.
(12) Number. Words in the plural include the singular and words in the singular include the plural number, if the sense so requires.
(13) Oath. “Oath” includes affirmation. When an oath is required or authorized by law, an affirmation in lieu thereof may be taken by a person having conscientious scruples about taking an oath. An affirmation shall have the same force and effect as an oath.
(14) Owner. “Owner,” when applied to property, includes a part owner, joint owner or tenant in common of the whole or any part of such property.
(15) Person. “Person” means an individual, association, club, corporation, firm, partnership, body politic or any other entity.
(16) Premises. “Premises, “ when used as applicable to property, extends to and includes land and buildings.
(17) Property. “Property” includes real and personal property and any mixed and lesser estates or interests therein. “Personal property” includes every kind of property except real property; “real property” includes lands, tenements and hereditaments.
(18) Reasonable Time. In all cases where provision is made for an act to be done or notice to be given within a reasonable time, it shall be deemed to mean such time only as may be necessary for the prompt performance of such act or the giving of such notice.
(19) Shall and May. “Shall” is mandatory; “may” is permissive.
(20) Sidewalk. “Sidewalk” means any portion of a street between the curb line and the adjacent property line, intended for the use of pedestrians, excluding parkways.
(21) State and Commonwealth. “State” and “Commonwealth” mean the Commonwealth of Virginia.
(22) Street. “Street” means alleys, avenues, boulevards, lanes, roads, streets, State highways and other public ways in the County.
(23) Tenant and Occupant. “Tenant” and “occupant,” as applied to buildings or land, shall extend and be applied to any person holding a written or oral lease of, or who occupies the whole or any part of, a building or land, alone or with others.
(24) Tenses. The use of any verb in the present tense includes the future.
(25) Week. “Week” means seven consecutive days.
(26) Whoever. “Whoever” includes all persons, natural and artificial; partners; principals, agents and employees; and all officials, public or private.
(27) Written. “Written” or “in writing” includes any representation of words, letters, symbols or figures; this provision does not affect any law relating to signatures.
(Adopting Ordinance; Ord. 98-01. Passed 3-18-98.)