Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Application. This section applies to:
(1) Any structure or portion of any structure, including condominium property, in which there are one or more rental dwelling units or in which a rooming house is operated, whether occupied or not; and
(2) Vacant dwelling structures or commercial structures, whether rental property or not.
(b) Limitations. This section does not apply to lawful one- and two-family structures occupied in part or wholly by the owner as the owner's principal residence.
(c) In General.
(1) No person shall rent or cause to be rented a dwelling unit or a portion of a dwelling unit to another unless the person has been issued a housing license as provided for in this section.
(2) No owner of a structure shall maintain or cause to be maintained the structure in a vacant or abandoned status as defined in Section 1306.72 without having been issued a vacant property license as provided for in this section.
(3) No person in control of a property other than an owner, including but not limited to a mortgagee, property holding company, property manager or lienholder, shall maintain the property in a vacant or abandoned status as defined in Section 1306.72 without having been issued a vacant property license as provided for in this section.
(d) Required Licenses.
(1) A housing license is required for each dwelling unit in a structure.
(2) A vacant property license is required for each vacant residential or commercial structure.
(3) The Building Commissioner or his or her designee (as used in this section, "Building Commissioner") shall determine at his or her sole discretion the number of dwelling or commercial units existing within a structure.
(e) Issuance. The Building Commissioner shall issue the applicable license to each applicant meeting the requirements of this chapter.
(f) Scope. A license authorizes a licensee to rent a dwelling unit or a portion of a dwelling unit or permits a property to be maintained in a vacant status.
(Ord. 18-18. Passed 10-1-2018.)