Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Description of district. This district is established in order to identify and stabilize those geographic areas within the city that are appropriate for the development and maintenance of high-density residential development. Due to the higher than average concentration of persons and vehicles, this district must have convenient access to arterials or collectors and have adequate public and commercial services. Areas of the city for which this zoning category is appropriate are designated on the comprehensive plan as high-density residential.
(B) Permitted and conditional uses. Unless otherwise permitted by this chapter, no building or land in the R-3 District shall be used, and no building shall be hereafter erected, structurally altered, or enlarged, except for the permitted and conditional uses listed below. The uses listed as conditional are permitted only after approval in accordance with §§ 154.70 through 154.73.
(1) Permitted uses:
(a) All R-2 permitted uses.
(b) Fee simple single family attached dwellings.
(c) Multi-family dwelling and special uses and structures designed primarily for service to occupants of the multi-family dwellings.
(2) Conditional uses:
(a) Community services and facilities.
(b) Churches with their appurtenant structures.
(c) Schools, public and private.
(d) Adult congregate living facilities.
(e) Nursing homes.
(f) Daytime child care centers.
(g) Any structure exceeding 35 feet in height.
(C) Site development standards.
(1) All fee simple dwellings, including single family detached and single family attached developments, are subject to the relevant provisions of Chapter 155 of the City of Lake Mary Code of Ordinances. All other developments are subject to the relevant provisions of Chapter 156.
(2) The following standards are hereby applicable to all R-3 zoned developments:
(a) Maximum site size (above mean high-water-line), one acre.
(b) Maximum gross residential density, 9 du/a.
(c) Minimum street frontage, 50 feet.
(d) Minimum building setback from property line shall be determined by the minimum landscape buffers, per Chapter 157, but in no case shall the minimum building setback be less than 25 feet from any external property line and/or off-site roadway.
(e) Maximum building height, 35 feet.
(D) Fee simple development standards.
(1) For fee simple one and two family developments, refer to the development standards contained in § 154.58.
(2) All fee simple developments are subject to the relevant provisions of Chapter 157 of the City of Lake Mary Code of Ordinances.
(3) The following development standards are applicable to all fee simple single family developments with three or more attached units:
(a) Minimum standards for individual lots:
1. Minimum lot width, 20 feet.
2. Minimum lot area, 1,200 square feet.
3. Minimum setback, 0 feet.
(E) Additional requirements.
(1) All uses must conform to Appendix B of Chapter 155 for off-street parking and other regulations.
(2) Lakefront regulations and requirements are included in § 154.12.
(3) School location, regulations and requirements are included in § 154.68.
(4) Properties located within the Big Lake Mary overlay zoning district shall comply with the relevant provisions of § 154.90.
(5) When there is a conflict between the provisions contained in this section and the provisions of the Big Lake Mary overlay zoning district, the provisions of § 154.90 takes precedence.
(Ord. 241, passed 11-27-85; Am. Ord. 773, passed 11-2-95; Am. Ord. 1219, passed 11-2-06; Am. Ord. 1282, passed 3-6-08) Penalty, see § 154.999