Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Motor vehicles.
(1) Inoperable vehicle. It is a public nuisance to keep or store any inoperable vehicle on public or private property unless said motor vehicle is:
(a) Kept within an enclosed building; or
(2) Hazardous dilapidated motor vehicle. It is a public nuisance to proliferate a hazardous dilapidated motor vehicle, whether on public or private property, in view of the public.
(B) Junk and debris. It is a public nuisance to keep or store junk and debris on public or private property, except in a state-permitted landfill or on premises properly zoned for, and engaged in the business of, a junk yard.
(C) High grass and/or weeds. It is a public nuisance to fail to maintain a property free from grass and/or weed growth in excess of ten inches in height within platted subdivisions. Excluded from this provision are the following:
(1) Areas preserved within an open space easement or plat-designated natural area;
(2) Plant growth that, in the opinion of the Enforcement Officer, enhances, protects, restores or otherwise supports an identified natural resource; and
(3) Plant growth within the tree-line of a natural wooded area.
(D) Disruption of a ditch or natural drain/ standing water. It is a public nuisance to disrupt, disturb or interfere with any ditches or natural drains across land in such a manner that such ditches or natural drains shall fill or become obstructed with any matter which materially impedes or interferes with the flow of water or redirects water onto another’s property, except as otherwise authorized by law, or to otherwise create or permit the continued existence of a condition of standing water where the standing water may facilitate or encourage the breeding of mosquitoes.
(E) Storage of construction materials. It is a public nuisance to store lumber or other building materials, construction vehicles, and/or construction equipment, not in connection with a permitted building project in progress on the property.
(F) Graffiti. It is a public nuisance for any person to place graffiti on any property or for any person having control of any property to allow, permit, or otherwise tolerate graffiti to be placed on or to remain on that property.
(G) Accumulation of rubbish, garbage or refuse. It is a public nuisance to allow accumulation of rubbish, garbage, or refuse on any property.
(H) Burning rubbish, garbage, refuse, or construction debris. It is a public nuisance to burn rubbish, garbage, refuse, or construction debris on any property.
(I) Open burning of landscape waste. It is a public nuisance to conduct open burning of grass clippings and tree trunks in the designated unincorporated area, subject to the following exceptions:
(1) The prohibition specified in this subsection (I) shall not apply to: recreational fires, campfires, self-contained outdoor burn devices, and ceremonial fires if no garbage, junk and debris, grass clippings, tree trunks, leaves, flowers, or weeds are burned in such fires.
(2) Notwithstanding the prohibition of this subsection (I), open burning of specified landscape waste shall be allowed in the designated unincorporated area when all of the following restrictions are met:
(a) The burning is conducted between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. or sunset, whichever is earlier, Monday through Friday, and between 12:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. or sunset, whichever is earlier, on Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays;
(b) The burning has been extinguished with no smoke emanating after 8:00 p.m. or sunset whichever is earlier;
(c) The burning occurs on the premises where the landscape waste was generated; and
(d) The burning is conducted no closer than 50 feet from a school property line, 50 feet from the centerline of the road, 25 feet from a building, and 25 feet from the side property line.
(J) On-site wastewater disposal system. It is a public nuisance to maintain and/or operate an on-site wastewater disposal system in a condition that the Health Officer determines is detrimental or potentially detrimental to the health and/or safety of the inhabitants of Lake County, Illinois, including, but not limited to, a cracked/damaged septic tank riser or cover or an exposed drop/distribution box, failure to properly supply, operate or maintain the disinfecting component of a surface discharge onsite wastewater disposal system, or failure to provide required reports of inspection and/or management activities of an onsite wastewater disposal system or system component.
(K) Water well. It is a public nuisance to maintain and/or operate a water well in a condition that the Health Officer determines is detrimental or potentially detrimental to the health and/or safety of the inhabitants of Lake County, Illinois, including, but not limited to, a loose or damaged well cap.
(L) Non-customary outdoor storage. It is a public nuisance to accumulate or allow to be accumulated non-customary outdoor storage on public or private property except in a state-permitted landfill or on premises properly zoned for and engaged in the business of a junk yard.
(Ord. 12-0446, passed 5-8-2012; Ord. passed 9-9-2014; Ord. passed 2-10-2015) Penalty, see § 94.99