Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Application filing.
(1) Who may file. Any person may file an application for an ordinance text amendment.
(2) Application submittal. Applications for amendments to the text of this chapter shall be submitted to the Planning, Building and Development Department on forms available from the Planning, Building and Development Department. When a text amendment is initiated by the County Board, a resolution approved by the County Board shall be considered an application.
(B) Public hearing notice. Newspaper notice and notice to reviewing agencies and interested parties shall be provided for all public hearings in accordance with the requirements of § 151.045(G).
(C) Staff review and recommendation. Planning, Building and Development Department staff shall review each proposed text amendment in light of the text amendment approval criteria of subsection (G) below and provide a report to the Zoning Board of Appeals.
(D) Zoning Board of Appeals review and recommendation. The Zoning Board of Appeals shall hold a public hearing on the proposed text amendment and make a recommendation to the County Board, based on the text amendment approval criteria of § 151.046(G). In the case of amendments to the text of §§ 151.185 through 151.204 (subdivisions), §§ 151.220 and 151.221 (school and park contributions), or the procedures of § 151.204 (vacations), the Planning, Building and Zoning Committee shall hold the public hearing and make the recommendation to the County Board instead of the Zoning Board of Appeals.
(E) Planning, Building and Zoning Committee review and recommendation. After receiving the recommendation of the Zoning Board of Appeals, the Planning, Building and Zoning Committee shall review the application and make a recommendation to the County Board based on the text amendment approval criteria of subsection (G) below.
(F) County Board review and action. After receiving required recommendations, the County Board shall review the application and act to approve, approve with conditions or deny the proposed amendment based on the text amendment approval criteria of subsection (G) below.
(G) Text amendment approval criteria. Text amendments to this chapter may be approved only upon an affirmative finding that all of the following approval criteria have been met:
(1) The proposed amendment corrects an error or inconsistency or meets the challenge of a changing condition;
(2) The proposed amendment is consistent with the purpose and intent of this chapter (§ 151.005); and
(3) The proposed amendment will not adversely affect the health, safety, morals, and general welfare of the public.
(H) Protest petitions. If a valid protest petition is filed on a proposed amendment to the text of any provision of this chapter other than those provisions of §§ 151.185 through 151.204 (subdivisions), §§ 151.220 and 151.221 (school and park contributions) or the vacation procedures of this chapter, the amendment shall require an affirmative vote of at least 75% of all the members of the County Board. Protest petitions shall be filed with the County Clerk by 1:00 p.m. on the day before the County Board acts on the proposed text amendment.
Protest petitions are governed by state statutes [55 ILCS 5/5-12014(b)].
(Ord., § 3.2, passed 10-13-2009; Ord. passed - -)