Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) (1) The Public Works and Transportation Committee shall consider the report of the County Engineer prepared in accordance with § 37.011. The Public Works and Transportation Committee may also request, for its consideration, a relevant review by the State’s Attorney’s Office.
(2) The Public Works and Transportation Committee shall have the sole responsibility, and complete discretion, in determining whether a completed application is rejected or accepted, and shall endeavor to act to reject or accept all completed applications as reported in the report of the County Engineer within two weeks after the ending date for staff review as set forth in § 37.008 as its regular meeting schedules shall allow.
(1) The Public Works and Transportation Committee shall have the authority to grant any variations to this subchapter that it deems necessary and appropriate to further the purposes of this subchapter, including but not limited to the following general provisions of § 37.010.
(a) Number of renewal terms (§ 37.010(A)).
(b) More than one section per applicant if the section is otherwise available.
(2) The Public Works and Transportation Committee shall not have the authority to grant any variances to this subchapter and thereby accept any application that would violate any of the following provisions of this subchapter:
(b) Section lengths less than one-half mile (§ 37.010(B)(1));
(c) Sections unavailable due to maintenance or construction conflicts (§ 37.010(B)(4)); and
(C) Alternate sections. The Public Works and Transportation Committee may authorize the County Engineer to offer to groups not receiving approval of their primary choice or secondary choice one alternate section that is otherwise available. The offer may be either as contained in the County Engineer’s report or as revised by the Public Works and Transportation Committee.
(1) The County Engineer shall prepare a listing showing the final action of the Public Works and Transportation Committee regarding the completed applications. The listing shall show the following:
(a) The groups for the approved sections;
(b) The groups not approved for their primary section applied for;
(c) The groups approved for their secondary choice of sections;
(d) The groups not approved for their secondary choice of sections;
(e) The sections that are offered to each group otherwise not approved;
(f) The groups whose applications were not approved; and
(g) The name, or acronym, of the group for the approved sections that would appear on the Adopt-A-Highway signs.
(2) The action of the Public Works and Transportation Committee shall be final.
(3) The County Engineer shall request those groups that were approved to sign and return the Adopt-A-Highway Program Agreement. The agreement shall be as contained in Appendix A to this chapter.
(1977 Code, § 4:1-11) (Ord. passed 5-9-2000; Ord. passed 4-9-2013)