Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) The Agricultural District is to be used to promote orderly, timely, economic growth and to recognize current land use conditions. The district is a reserved area in which the future growth of the city might occur. It is the intent of this district that agricultural land be held in that use for as long as is practical and reasonable. This zoning is suitable for areas where development is premature because of a lack of utilities, capacity or service, or where the ultimate land use has not been determined.
(2) The zone is also to be used:
(a) To protect those areas that are unsuitable for development because of physical problems or potential health or safety hazards such as flooding. The usage of the land would be permanently restricted to low-intensity agricultural uses until such time as the property is proven to be suitable for development and is rezoned; and
(b) To provide a permanent greenbelt to preserve natural areas or open space buffer around uses that might otherwise be objectionable or pose environmental or health hazards.
(B) Permitted uses.
(1) Farming, ranching, related activities, and one detached single-family dwelling per lot.
(2) Home occupations;
(3) Municipality owned or controlled facilities, utilities, and uses;
(4) Temporary concrete batching plants limited to the period of construction, upon approval of location and operation by the Building Official;
(5) Wind energy systems on lots greater than ten acres in size subject to all terms and conditions of § 159.50; and
(6) A single open landscape structure on the same lot as an accessory to a residential use and used as a trellis, arbor, pergola, gazebo, or outdoor kitchen that does not exceed 350 square feet in area and 15 feet in height.
(7) Accessory buildings and dwelling units. The maximum combined floor area, maximum size for a single building, maximum wall height, and number of accessory buildings per lot/tract permitted shall be based on the lot/tract size. Such regulations shall conform to the following criteria in the table below:
(a) Lot/Tract Size
(b) Maximum Number of Accessory Buildings Allowed per Lot
(c) Maximum Combined Floor Area Allowed 1
(All Accessory Buildings/ Dwelling Units)
(d) Maximum Size for a Single Accessory Structure
(f) Setback from Rear Façade of Primary Residence
(g) Minimum Separation from other Buildings (feet)
1 to <2
2 to <3
3 to <4
4 to <5
5 to <7.5
7.5 to <10
1 All existing utility services to be extended to the accessory building(s) shall be metered to same utility account holder/customer for the primary residence.
2 A conditional use permit shall be required for a detached residential garage as defined in § 159.42.
3 Only one detached accessory dwelling unit shall be permitted per lot or tract with a maximum building area specified in column (d) above for each lot/tract size category. The maximum size for an accessory dwelling for the 3 to <4 acre and larger lot/tract size categories shall not exceed 2,500 square feet. An accessory dwelling unit shall not be sold or conveyed separately without meeting the requirements of the zoning district and the subdivision ordinance. All other accessory structures not used as an accessory dwelling unit shall have no sleeping areas, bathroom or kitchen plumbing (except for one hand sink), or kitchen facilities.
4 Building height shall be the distance measured from the average elevation of the finished grade along the front of the building to the average height of the highest roof structure.
5 Measured from the rear building elevation that encloses the climate control residence, which is situated the furthest perpendicular distance away from the street right-of-way that adjoins the front yard of the lot or parcel.
(C) Conditional uses (require use permits, see § 159.43).
(1) Facilities for the raising of animals in accordance with all applicable city ordinances;
(2) Wholesale nursery for the growing of plants not for retail sale on the premises;
(3) Facilities for railroads or those utilities holding a franchise in the city;
(4) Institutional uses including sanitary landfill, water treatment and supply facilities, and wastewater treatment facilities;
(5) Wind energy systems that do not conform to requirements in division (B)(7) above (see also § 159.50); and
(6) Other uses which, as determined by the Planning and Zoning Commission, are not contrary to the purposes established for this district.
(7) Any request for a building permit for an accessory building that does not meet the criteria established in the table above shall only be authorized by approval of a conditional use permit.
(D) Prohibited uses.
(1) Any building erected or land used for other than one or more of the preceding specified uses; and
(2) Any use of property that does not meet the required minimum lot size; front, side, and rear yard dimension and/or lot width; or exceeds the maximum height, building coverage or density per gross acre as required.
(3) The outside storage of equipment, materials or vehicles, including abandoned or junked vehicles which are not necessary to the uses permitted in this district;
(E) Area requirements for primary structures.
(1) Minimum lot area, as defined herein: 43,560 square feet (one acre);
(2) Minimum lot frontage on a public street: 100 feet;
(3) Minimum lot depth: 200 feet;
(4) Minimum depth of front setback: 40 feet plus one foot for each foot in height over 25 feet;
(5) Minimum depth of rear setback: 25 feet;
(6) Minimum width of side setback:
(a) Internal lot: ten feet;
(b) Side yard setback abutting street: 20 feet; and
(c) Abutting an arterial: 30 feet.
(7) Minimum distance between buildings on the same lot or parcel of land: 15 feet;
(8) Minimum length of driveway pavement from the public right-of-way on a side or rear yard: 25 feet;
(9) Maximum building coverage as a percentage of lot area, as defined herein: N/A;
(10) Maximum height of structures: 35 feet;
(11) Minimum number of off-street parking spaces required for one single-dwelling unit: two.
(a) An enclosed garage shall not be considered in meeting the off-street parking requirements.
(12) Minimum square footage for primary dwelling unit: 3,600 square feet.
(2005 Code, § 12-2-1) (Ord. 960502, passed - - ; Ord. 000615, passed - - ; Ord. 010419D, passed - - ; Ord. 101221A, passed 12-21-2010; Ord. 151013C, passed 11-10-2015; Ord. 181211B, passed 12-11-2018; Ord. 200728A, passed 7-28-2020)