Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following regulations shall apply in B-1 Central Business Districts.
(A) Uses permitted. The following uses shall be permitted in the B-1 Central Business District:
(1) Any retail business or retail service.
(2) Places of amusement and assembly, offices, hotels, motels, used car lots, garages, and other motor vehicle services.
(3) Any manufacturing or processing establishment that does not create dust, smoke, noise, or odor outside the lot on which it is located and employing not more than ten persons, including the owner or operator.
(4) Dwelling units occupying the same building as the principal business.
(5) Signs identifying the business activity on the same premises may, if written approval is acquired according to § 157.060, be used, provided no attached sign projects outward more than seven feet from the building to which it is attached and all detached signs are located at least 25 feet from the nearest right-of-way line and at least ten feet from the side lot lines. Permission shall be granted only if it is determined that the sign will not be detrimental to the surrounding area. In no case shall permission be granted to allow a sign with more than a total area of 100 square feet to be used.
(B) Uses prohibited. Uses which, in the opinion of the Board of Zoning Adjustment, would be detrimental to the development of the B-1 Central Business District as a retail shopping area shall be prohibited including specifically, but not limited to:
(1) Any manufacturing or processing establishment that creates excessive dust, smoke, noise, or offensive odor outside the lot on which it is located and which employs more than ten persons, including the owner or operator; or
(2) Any on-site activity for the exploration or development of oil, natural gas, coal, or other minerals such as drilling, storage, mining (surface, auger, pit, underground, or in-situ), blasting, loading, or transporting of oil, gas, coal, or other minerals except over or through roads forming a part of the official state coal road system approved by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet pursuant to KRS 42.455(7) or pipelines used for interstate transmission of gas if such pipelines are lawfully pre-existing as of the effective date of Ordinance 88-6 or located in the future within federal, state, or city rights-of-way.
(C) Conditional uses. The following uses shall be permitted as conditional uses in this district:
(1) Public facilities such as the main or primary public library, and appurtenant office and other facilities established under KRS Chapter 173, parks, recreational facilities, hospitals, institutions, public communica-tions media, and the like.
(2) Planned-development projects. The procedure under § 157.051 shall be followed.
(D) Dimension and area regulations for lots and structures. The regulations on the dimensions and area for lots and structures are set forth in the schedule of dimension and area regulations in the appendix to this chapter. The applicable regulations shall be observed in the B-1 Central Business District.
(Ord. 920.1, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 88-6, passed 5-17-88; Am. Ord. 2007-6, passed 2-5-07) Penalty, see § 157.999