Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Generally: It shall be the duty of the planning and zoning commission to act as a decision making body in certain cases as identified herein and as an advisory body and hear, review and recommend to the city council in other matters as identified herein. Any final decision made by the commission with respect to an application presented to it shall be subject to appeal to the city council.
B. Decision Making Capacities: The planning and zoning commission shall have jurisdiction to hear and decide the following types of applications:
1. Applications for variances, special (conditional) use permits and manufactured home parks filed in accordance with the city's zoning regulations; and
2. Other decision making duties as may be assigned to the commission by resolution or ordinance of the city council.
C. Capacities Advisory To Council: The planning and zoning commission shall conduct hearings and make advisory recommendations to the city council on all of the following:
1. Applications for change of zone filed in accordance with the city's zoning regulations;
2. Applications for any change to the text of city ordinances governing subdivision, zoning and other planning and land use related ordinances;
3. Applications for amendment of the city's comprehensive plan;
4. Applications for preliminary short and long plats filed in accordance with the city's short and long subdivision regulations;
5. Other advisory duties as may be imposed upon the commission by motion, resolution or ordinance of the city council.
D. Concurrent Processing: Whenever any application or permit is reliant, in whole or in part, upon the grant of approval of a separate permit or application, the planning and zoning commission may concurrently consider all such related permits and/or applications, to the extent allowed by state law.
E. Appeals: Any decision of the planning and zoning commission regarding a permit application as described in subsection B of this section, may be appealed to the city council pursuant to the provisions of section 2-1-13 of this chapter. (Ord. 559, 7-12-2016)