Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It shall be an offense for any person to knowingly or intentionally destroy, deface, vandalize, injure, interfere with, alter, obstruct, bypass, or tamper with, or attempt to destroy, deface, vandalize, injure, interfere with, alter, obstruct, bypass or tamper with any portion of the city’s water distribution system, including without limitation any reservoir, tank, pump station, main, fountain, fireplug, hydrant, stopcock, valve, pipe connection, meter, meter box, meter cover, seal or locking device, or other apparatus.
(B) It is prima facie evidence that a person has intentionally or knowingly violated division (A) if the person is an owner, occupant or manager of the premises, or otherwise benefits from the supply of city water to the premises, and:
(1) Water is prevented from passing through a meter used or furnished by the city to supply water to the premises;
(2) A meter used or furnished by the city is prevented from correctly registering the quantity of water supplied to the premises;
(3) Water is diverted or bypassed by the use of a device from or around a pipe, main, meter, hydrant or other connection of the city;
(4) A meter or service connection of the city used for service to the premises is removed; or
(5) Wastewater is prevented or diverted from flowing from the premises into the wastewater system.
(C) This section does not apply to a city employee or contractor acting within the course and scope of his official duties, or to a person whose actions were duly authorized by the Director of Public Works.
(Ord. 2013-18, passed 7-9-13) Penalty, see § 52.99