Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) (1) The owner or operator of an industrial furnace or boiler utilized for the burning of hazardous waste shall establish procedures within 6 months of the effective date of this subchapter to ensure that each hazardous waste stream introduced into the facility shall be analyzed as follows.
(2) The initial hazardous waste stream certification samples shall be analyzed utilizing Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectroscopy (GCMS) methods to determine whether any of the organic compounds listed in Tables I and II of this section are present in the hazardous waste stream at concentrations greater than 1% by weight, or a lesser percentage as required to demonstrate compliance with any of the restrictions placed on receipt of certain hazardous wastes pursuant to this chapter.
(3) The results of this analysis shall be submitted to HDEM along with a material profile data sheet at least 10 calendar days prior to the receipt of the first shipment of any new (not previously handled) hazardous waste stream into the facility.
(B) (1) The owner or operator shall also perform a GCMS analysis of the initial certification sample, or a recertification sample, of the existing hazardous waste streams, that are currently handled at the facility to determine whether any of the organic compounds listed in Tables I and II of this section are present in the certification or recertification sample for the hazardous waste stream at concentrations greater than 1% by weight, or a lesser percentage as required to demonstrate compliance with any of the restrictions placed on receipt of certain hazardous wastes pursuant to this chapter.
(2) The results of these analyses shall be submitted to HDEM along with a material profile data sheet within 10 calendar days following completion of the analyses.
(3) The owner or operator shall adopt the necessary procedures, complete the analysis of all existing hazardous waste stream certification samples or recertification samples and submit the data to HDEM within 12 months of the effective date of this subchapter.
(C) (1) Additionally, a Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) analysis shall be performed on the initial certification sample and any subsequent shipments of a hazardous waste stream into the facility to determine whether there has been any substantial deviation in the constituents or the concentrations of constituents as compared to previous certifications and analyses performed on that material.
(2) The results of the FTIR analysis of the initial certification sample shall be submitted to HDEM with the other data in this section.
(D) (1) HDEM shall have the right to request that up to 20 of the organic compounds listed in Tables I and II of this section be replaced with 20 organic compounds of HDEM’s choosing, provided that the requested compounds can be readily identified and quantified via the subject GCMS methodology.
(2) Consent to this request shall not be unreasonably withheld by the owner or operator.
(E) (1) The owner or operator shall have the right to request of the Director of HDEM that any organic compound contained in Tables I and II of this section which can not be readily identified and quantified via the subject GCMS methodology be replaced with an organic compound mutually acceptable to HDEM and the owner or operator, provided that the replacement organic compound can be identified and quantified via the subject GCMS methodology.
(2) Consent to this request shall not be unreasonably withheld by HDEM.
(F) The following volatile organic compounds shall be analyzed via GCMS methods in accordance with the provisions of this section:
1, 1, 1-Trichloroethane
1, 1, 2-Trichloroethane
1, 1, 2, 2-Dichlorodifluoromethane
1, 2-Dichloropropane cis-1, 3-Dichloropropene
(G) The following semi-volatile organic compounds shall be analyzed via GCMS methods in accordance with the provisions of this section:
Indeno (1, 2, 3-cd) pyrene
1, 2, 4-Tricholorobenzenzene
4-Bromophenyl phenyl ether
Bis (2-ethylexyl) phthalate
2, 4, 6-Trichlorophenol
2, 4, 5-Trichlorophenol
Benzo(g, h, i)perylene
(H) The owner or operator of the facility shall also analyze the initial hazardous waste certification or recertification sample, and all existing hazardous waste stream certification or recertification samples, for any listed P-codes, listed U-codes or future compound specific listed hazardous wastes that are restricted under the provisions of § 102.119 if these codes appear on the hazardous waste manifest or material profile data sheet prepared by the generator of the hazardous waste stream. The owner or operator shall perform the analyses required by this division (H) within the time frames delineated in divisions (A) and (B) of this section for new and existing hazardous waste streams, as appropriate.
(I) All hazardous waste sampling and analysis required pursuant to this section shall be done at the sole expense of the owner or operator.
(Prior Code, § 102.58) (Ord. 7676, passed 4-25-1994)