Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) A taxpayer as defined in subsection 194.81(c) may elect to be subject to Sections 194.80 to 194.95 of the Codified Ordinances of Grove City in lieu of the provisions set forth in the remainder of this chapter. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, upon the taxpayer’s election, both of the following shall apply:
(1) The tax commissioner shall serve as the sole administrator of the municipal net profit tax for which the taxpayer is liable for the term of the election;
(b) (1) A taxpayer shall make the initial election on or before the first day of the third month after the beginning of the taxpayer’s taxable year by notifying the tax commissioner and each municipal corporation in which the taxpayer conducted business during the previous taxable year, on a form prescribed by the tax commissioner.
(2) A. The election, once made by the taxpayer, applies to the taxable year in which the election is made and to each subsequent taxable year until the taxpayer notifies the tax commissioner and each municipal corporation in which the taxpayer conducted business during the previous taxable year of its termination of the election.
B. A notification of termination shall be made, on a form prescribed by the tax commissioner, on or before the first day of the third month of any taxable year.
(c) (1) A. On or before the thirty-first day of January each year, the Tax Administrator shall certify to the tax commissioner the rate of the tax in effect on the first day of January of that year.
B. If, after the thirty-first day of January of any year, the electors of Grove City approve an increase in the rate of the municipal corporation’s tax on income that takes effect within that year, the Tax Administrator shall certify to the tax commissioner the new rate of tax not less than sixty days before the effective date of the increase, after which effective date the commissioner shall apply the increased rate.
(2) The Tax Administrator, within ninety days of receiving a taxpayer’s notification of election under subsection (b) of this section, shall submit to the tax commissioner, on a form prescribed by the tax commissioner, the following information regarding the taxpayer:
A. The amount of any net operating loss that the taxpayer is entitled to carry forward to a future tax year;
B. The amount of any net operating loss carryforward utilized by the taxpayer in prior years;
C. Any credits granted by Grove City to which the taxpayer is entitled, the amount of such credits, whether the credits may be carried forward to future tax years, and, if the credits may be carried forward, the duration of any such carryforward;
D. Any overpayments of tax that the taxpayer has elected to carry forward to a subsequent tax year;
E. Any other information Grove City deems relevant in order to effectuate the tax commissioner’s efficient administration of the tax on Grove City’s behalf.
(3) If the Tax Administrator fails to timely comply with subsections (c)(1) and (2) of this section, the tax commissioner shall notify the director of budget and management, who, upon receiving such notification, shall withhold from each payment made to Grove City under Section 194.83 of the Codified Ordinances of Grove City fifty percent (50%) of the amount of the payment otherwise due to Grove City under that section. The director shall compute the withholding on the basis of the tax rate most recently certified to the tax commissioner until Grove City complies with subsections (c)(1) and (2) of this section.
(1) Prescribe all forms necessary to administer those sections;
(2) Adopt such rules as the tax commissioner finds necessary to carry out those sections;
(3) Appoint and employ such personnel as are necessary to carry out the duties imposed upon the tax commissioner by those sections.
(f) Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to make any section of this chapter, other than Sections 194.01 and 194.80 to 194.95, applicable to the tax commissioner’s administration of Grove City’s municipal income tax or to any taxpayer that has made the election under this section.
(g) The tax commissioner shall not be considered the Tax Administrator, as that term is defined in Section 194.02 of this chapter.
(Ord. C10-18. Passed 2-23-18.)