Skip to code content (skip section selection)
All significant industrial users shall obtain a significant industrial user permit prior to the commencement of discharge to the POTW. Existing industrial users who are determined by the POTW Director to be significant industrial users shall obtain a significant industrial user permit within 180 days of receiving notification of the POTW Director’s determination. Industrial users who do not fit the significant industrial user criteria may at the discretion of the POTW Director be required to obtain a wastewater discharge permit for non-significant industrial users.
(A) Significant industrial user determination. All persons proposing to discharge non-domestic wastewater, or proposing to change the volume or characteristics of an existing discharge of non-domestic wastewater shall request from the POTW Director a significant industrial user determination. If the POTW Director determines or suspects that the proposed discharge fits the significant industrial user criteria he or she will require that a significant industrial user permit application be filed.
(B) Significant industrial user permit application. Users required to obtain a significant industrial user permit shall complete and file with the town, an application in the form prescribed by the POTW Director, and accompanied by an application fee in the amount prescribed in the schedule of charges and fees. Significant industrial users shall apply for a significant industrial user permit within 90 days after notification of the POTW Director’s determination in § 51.041(A) above. The application shall include at a minimum:
(1) Name of industrial user;
(2) Address of industrial user;
(3) Standard industrial classification (SIC) code(s) or expected classification and industrial user category;
(4) Wastewater flow;
(5) Types and concentrations (or mass) of pollutants contained in the discharge;
(6) Major products manufactured or service supplied;
(7) Description of existing on-site pretreatment facilities and practices;
(8) Locations of discharge permits;
(9) Raw materials used or stored at the site;
(10) Flow diagram or sewer map for the industrial user;
(11) Number of employees;
(12) Operation and production schedule;
(13) Description of current and projected waste reduction activities in accordance with G.S. 143-215.1(g); and
(14) Any other information as may be deemed by the POTW Director to be necessary to evaluate the permit application.
(C) Application signatories and certification. All wastewater discharge permit applications and user reports must be signed by the current authorized representative of the user on file with the control authority and/or municipality as defined in § 51.002(A)(3) and contain the following certification statement: