Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. A traffic violations bureau hereby may be established as a division of the office of the clerk of the court, to be administered by the clerk, or by subordinates designated by him for that purpose. Persons who are cited for violation of one of the traffic regulatory ordinances of this municipality with such exceptions as the judge may prescribe and except as provided in Subsection B hereof, may elect to pay a fine in the traffic violations bureau according to a schedule of fines prescribed by the judge.
B. Any person cited for a moving traffic violation of the city code or ordinances of the city, may elect to pay a fine to the court clerk in lieu of appearing before the municipal court for formal arraignment, except the following offenses and situations:
1. Any person having received more than two (2) traffic offenses during the immediately preceding twelve-month period;
2. A driver's license violation;
3. Any offense wherein the person cited has a right to a trial by jury;
4. An offense resulting in the charge of Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs, Actual Physical Control of a Motor Vehicle While Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs, or Reckless Driving; and
5. An offense punishable by a fine of more than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) or by imprisonment.
Persons electing to so administratively pay their fines, shall first file with the court clerk an appearance form, a guilty plea form, and a court appearance waiver form or such forms as may be prescribed by the judge of the municipal court.
C. The court may adopt rules to carry into effect this section. Payment of a fine under this section shall constitute a final determination of cause against the defendant. If a defendant who has elected to pay a fine under this section fails to do so, prosecution shall proceed under the provisions of this chapter. (Ord. No. 82-7-1, 7/6/82)