Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The Zoning Commissioner shall approve any application for collocation, removal, or replacement of transmission equipment on an existing wireless tower or base station, provided this action does not substantially change the physical dimensions of the tower or base station. Any application which does not comply with the standards of Section 1399.15(a) may be submitted by the applicant for approval under the provisions of Sections 1399.03 through 1399.14.
(a) Changes for which Administrative Approval is Authorized. The following changes to an existing tower or base station are eligible for administrative approval under this Section 1399.15 :
(1) The mounting of a proposed antenna on the tower that will not increase the existing height of the tower by more than 10%, or by the height of one additional antenna array with separation from the nearest existing antenna not to exceed twenty feet, whichever is greater, except that the mounting of the proposed antenna may exceed the size limits set forth in this paragraph if necessary to avoid interference with existing antennas; and
(2) The mounting of a proposed antenna that will not involve the installation of more than the standard number of new equipment cabinets for the technology involved, not to exceed four, or more than one new equipment shelter; and
(3) The mounting of a proposed antenna that will not involve adding an appurtenance to the body of the tower that would protrude from the edge of the tower more than twenty feet, or more than the width of the tower structure at the level of the appurtenance, whichever is greater, except that the mounting of the proposed antenna may exceed the size limits set forth in this paragraph if necessary to shelter the antenna from inclement weather or to connect the antenna to the tower via cable; and
(4) The mounting of a proposed antenna that will not involve excavation outside the current tower site, defined as the current boundaries of the leased or owned property surrounding the tower and any access or utility easements currently related to the site.
(b) Application. The owner of an existing tower or base station for which collocation, removal, or replacement of transmission equipment is proposed which will not substantially change the physical dimensions of the tower or base station may submit an application for administrative approval. At minimum, the application shall include the following items and any additional information necessary to document the proposed changes and conformance with the requirements for administrative approval:
(1) A letter signed by the tower/base station owner requesting administrative approval containing contact information for the person(s) authorized to provide additional information relative to the request and the proposed dates of the changes.
(2) Drawings of the existing tower or base station and the proposed changes indicating the relevant elements and dimensions of the existing and proposed facilities.
(c) Review; Time Period. Provided that the application contains sufficient information to confirm the nature of the proposed changes, the Zoning Commissioner shall notify the applicant in writing not more than ninety days after receipt of the application of administrative approval or of disapproval and the reasons for any disapproval.
(Ord. 15-2017. Passed 2-21-17.)