Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) All offices and positions of the city are divided into the classified service and the exempt service.
(B) The exempt service shall include the following:
(1) All elected officials and persons appointed to fill vacancies in elective offices;
(2) The City Manager and utility manager;
(3) Members of appointive boards, commissions or committees;
(4) Department heads unless their inclusion is provided by resolution of the governing body;
(5) Persons engaged under contract to supply expert, professional, technical or other services;
(6) Volunteer personnel, such as volunteer firefighters, and all other personnel appointed to serve without compensation;
(7) City Attorney and Assistant City Attorneys;
(8) Emergency employees who are hired to meet the immediate requirements of an emergency condition, such as extraordinary fire, flood or earthquake which threatens life or property;
(9) Seasonal employees who work less than six months in the year, or who are expected to and do work part-time for less than 1,000 hours in a year; and
(10) Persons jointly employed by the city and some other governmental agency.
(C) The classified service shall include all other full-time positions in the city service which are not specifically placed in the exempt service by this subchapter.
(D) The following sections of this subchapter apply only to the classified service unless otherwise specifically provided.
(1994 Code, § 4-204) (Ord. 407, passed 11-25-1985)