Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For use in this chapter and in Chapter 106, the following terms are defined:
1. “Aluminum cans” means empty all-aluminum beverage and food containers, except those aluminum beverage cans returned by the resident for redemption at a can and bottle redemption center.
2. “Bimetal containers” means empty beverage or food containers having sides and bottom of steel and an aluminum top.
3. “Collector,” for purposes of collecting and transporting solid waste and/or recyclables, means the City of Denison, Iowa, or its duly authorized contractors.
4. “Commercial establishment” means any premises engaged in retail trade or sale of goods. Expressly included are all restaurants and taverns, all industrial or manufacturing businesses, and all types of offices, including governmental agencies.
5. “Corrugated paper” means paperboard or cardboard boxes constructed in a fluted manner.
6. “Curbside recycling collection” means the scheduled collection and transportation of recyclable materials placed at the curb line or other area designated by the collector.
7. “Dwelling unit” means a single unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation.
A. Multi-family facility: a building or portion thereof containing more than two dwelling units and not classified as a one- or two-family dwelling.
B. One-family dwelling: a building containing one dwelling unit only.
C. Two-family dwelling: a building containing two dwelling units only.
9. “Enforcement officer” means the official designated herein or otherwise charged with the responsibilities of administering the chapters in this Code of Ordinances pertaining to the control and collection of solid waste and recycling.
10. “Glass containers” means bottles and jars made of flint glass or green or amber glass; except those glass jars returned by the resident for redemption at a can and bottle redemption center. Expressly excluded are non-container glass, plate glass, blue glass, lead crystal, and porcelain and ceramic products.
11. “High Density Polyethylene (HDE) containers” means plastic bottles and jars made exclusively from high-density polyethylene.
12. “Magazines” means printed matter printed on slick or glossy paper containing contaminants not found in newsprint.
13. “Municipal waste” means any garbage, refuse, industrial, lunchroom, or office waste or other material, including solid, semisolid or contained gaseous material resulting from operation of residential, municipal, commercial or institutional establishments and from community activities. Also included is any sludge not meeting the definition of residual or hazardous waste in Section 455B.411, Code of Iowa, from a municipal, commercial or institutional water supply treatment plant, wastewater treatment plant or air pollution control facility. This term does not include source-separated recyclable materials.
14. “Newspaper” means paper of the type commonly referred to as newsprint and distributed at fixed intervals. Expressly excluded are newspapers which have been soiled.
15. “Occupant” means any person living and/or sleeping in a dwelling unit.
16. “Owner” means, in addition to the record titleholder, any person residing in, renting, leasing, occupying, operating or transacting business in any premises, and as between such parties the duties, responsibilities, liabilities and obligations hereinafter imposed shall be joint and several.
17. “Person” means any individual, partnership, municipal waste hauler, scrap dealer, corporation, association, institution, cooperative enterprise, municipality, municipal authority, Federal Government or agency, State institution or agency, or any other legal entity whatsoever which is recognized by law as the subject of rights and duties. In any provisions of these chapters prescribing a fine, imprisonment or penalty, or any combination of the foregoing, the term “person” includes the officers and directors of any corporation or other legal entity having officers and directors.
18. “Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) containers” means plastic soda bottles or other containers composed of the polymer PET.
19. “Recyclable materials” means any used material having an economic value in the secondary materials market and includes aluminum cans and articles, bimetal cans, glass containers, corrugated paper, magazines, computer printout paper, computer tab cards, office paper, steel cans, newspaper, paper products not chemically coated, plastic Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) bottles, plastic High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) containers and other materials designated by the City as having value.
20. “Steel cans” means empty all-steel food and beverage containers.
21. “Yard waste” means organic debris (e.g., grass clippings, leaves, tree limbs, bark, branches, flowers, etc.) which is produced as part of yard and garden development and maintenance. Yard waste does not include tree trunks or tree stumps.