Skip to code content (skip section selection)
95.10 EXCAVATIONS. 5
1. Any excavations made for the purpose of making a connection to a public sanitary sewer shall have barricades at all times, and warning lights shall be in operation at said barricades at all times from one-half hour before sunset until one-half hour after sunrise.
2. In making an excavation across the roadway of a street at least one lane shall remain open for passage of traffic at all time, unless temporary closing of the street has been authorized by the City Engineer.
3. If an excavation is made within five feet of the pavement in a street, the trench shall be refilled and the street returned to be as good condition as before the excavation was made within five days after the beginning of the excavation.
4. If an excavation is made in public property other than within five feet of the pavement in a street, the work shall be completed and notice of readiness for inspection shall be given to the General Manager of DMU within ten days after the beginning of the excavation. The trench shall be refilled and the property returned to as good condition as before the excavation within five days after the work is approved by the General Manager of DMU.
5. In the event of any violation of this section, in addition to all other remedies, the City may do all work necessary to correct the violation. The City may recover the cost of such work by legal action against the person who made the excavation and by action on the plumbing contractor's bond.
(Ord. 1466 - May. 17 Supp.)
†EDITOR’S NOTE: See also Chapter 141 of this Code of Ordinances for conditions required for right-of-way occupancy.