Skip to code content (skip section selection)
373.08 RECKLESS OPERATION; CONTROL, COURSE AND SPEED.
(a) No person shall operate a bicycle or electric bicycle:
(1) Without due regard for the safety and rights of pedestrians and drivers and occupants of all other vehicles, and so as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person while in the lawful use of the streets or sidewalks or any other public or private property;
(2) Without exercising reasonable and ordinary control over such bicycle or electric bicycle;
(3) In a weaving or zigzag course unless such irregular course is necessary for safe operation in compliance with law;
(4) Without both hands upon the handle grips except when necessary to give the required hand and arm signals, or as provided in Section 373.02( d);
(5) At a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions then existing.
(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor on a first offense; on a second offense within one year after the first offense, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree; on each subsequent offense within one year after the first offense, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.