Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Purpose: The purpose of this title is to:
1. Lessen congestion in the streets.
2. Secure safety from fire, panic, and other dangers.
3. Promote health, safety, morals, and the general welfare.
4. Provide adequate light and air.
5. Prevent overcrowding of land.
6. Avoid undue concentration of population.
7. Facilitate the adequate provision of transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks, and other public requirements in accordance with a comprehensive plan.
8. Regulate and restrict the erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair and use of buildings, structures and land.
9. Regulate and restrict the height, number of stories, and size of buildings and other structures, the percentage of lots that may be occupied, the size of yards, courts and other open spaces, the density of population, and the location and use of buildings, structures, and land for trade, industry, residence, or other purpose.
B. Consideration: The regulations are made with reasonable consideration, among other things, to the character of the zoning districts and their peculiar suitability for particular uses, and with a view to conserving the value of buildings and encouraging the most appropriate use of land throughout the city. (Ord. 16.00)