Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Home occupations are conditionally permitted uses in residentially zoned areas of the City and are approved by the Board of Zoning Appeals in accordance with the requirements and procedures of this chapter.
(b) Home occupations shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Only one person other than a family member residing on the premises may be engaged in the home occupation on the premises.
(2) The appearance of any structure on the premises shall not be altered nor shall the business within any structure be conducted in a manner which would cause the premises to differ from the residential character.
(3) Accessory buildings may be used for the home occupation but the buildings must comply with the setback and other requirements pertaining to the district in which the building is located.
(4) No equipment or process shall be used which creates noise, vibration, glare, fumes, odors or electrical interference detectable to the normal senses off the lot. In case of electrical interference, no equipment or process shall be used which creates visual or audible interference in any radio or television receivers, or which causes fluctuations in line voltage off the premises.
(5) No traffic shall be generated by the operation of the home occupation which is greater, as determined by the City Manager, than traffic volumes normally expected in the neighborhood.
(6) Off-street parking requirements for the district shall apply. There shall be no parking in any front yard.
(7) One non-illuminated sign, erected in compliance with the sign requirements of the Zoning Ordinance, of not more than six square feet shall be permitted.
(8) No space on the premises and outside of a principal or accessory building shall be used for storage or for any home occupation use.
(9) Not more than twenty-five percent (25%) of the floor area of the dwelling unit shall be used in the conduct of the home occupation.
(c) The following shall exemplify those uses not considered as home occupations:
(1) Animal hospital;
(3) Business school;
(4) Clinic or medical center;
(5) Dancing school;
(6) Professional office;
(8) Music school;
(9) Private club;
(10) Equipment rental;
(11) Repair or service establishment;
(14) Boarding house/tourist home;
(Ord. 1985-40. Passed 8-6-85.)