Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any person to remove, destroy, deface, or any way injure any headstone marker or monument of any sort in any of the cemeteries of the town, unless upon his own property or with the permission of the owner.
(B) No grave marker or monument shall be placed in any of the cemeteries of the town unless and until the Cemetery Official has reviewed and approved a photograph, sketch, or other accurate depiction or rendering (including a listing of all applicable materials, dimensions and wording) of such grave marker or monument. All vases must be permanently attached to grave marker.
(C) Except as provided in division (D), no grave marker or monument shall be placed in any of the cemeteries of the town unless human remains, properly entombed in a coffin or other appropriate burial container, have been buried or otherwise interred in the burial plot upon which the grave marker or monument is to be placed.
(D) A grave marker or monument may be placed in a cemetery of the town at an empty burial plot where:
(1) (a) An immediately adjacent burial plot contains human remains properly entombed in a coffin or other appropriate burial container; and
(b) A living member of the immediate family of the deceased buried or other wise interred in the adjacent burial plots is to be buried or otherwise interred in the empty burial plot; or
(2) The owner of the empty burial plot obtains permission from the town to place a grave marker or monument on the empty burial plot in anticipation of his or her burial or interment in that plot, or in anticipation of the burial or interment of an immediate family member in that plot.
(E) No grave marker or monument placed in any of the cemeteries of the town shall contain or reflect any profanity, obscenity, vulgarity, or fighting words.
(F) All grave markers or monuments placed in any of the cemeteries of the town shall be fixed and stationary, and shall not exceed 60 inches in height, 48 inches in width, or 36 inches in depth or diameter.
(G) No grave marker or monument placed in any of the cemeteries of the town shall contain or include any device intended to or capable of generating any form of light or sound.
(H) All occupied graves must have a permanent marker. Beginning October 1, 2012 the town shall place a marker at the foot of each grave for the purpose of basic identification. This marker does not displace allowance for approved markers or monuments otherwise placed on behalf of the licensee of the site.
(I) No structure other than an approved monument or permanently installed vase may be placed at a gravesite. By way of illustration but not limitation the following shall be prohibited:
(1) Coping, curbing, fencing, hedging, border enclosures.
(2) Cover with stone, gravel, cinders, tile, and cement or other materials.
(3) Benches, sundials, settees, and lights.
(4) Flags will be allowed only during calendar days of Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, and July 4.
(5) The use of decorations which are either placed on the floor, or freestanding easels, or on wrought iron stands, or which are attached directly by wire, tape, glue or such other similar method is strictly prohibited.
(J) For further information, refer to the town's cemetery flower/decoration policy.
('71 Code, § 5-21) (Ord. passed 4-5-71; Am. Ord. 99-07-01, passed 7-19-99; Am. Ord. 2012-09-03, passed 9-4-12; Am. Ord. 2023-06-04, passed 6-20-23) Penalty, see § 10.99