Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It is the intent of this chapter to permit most legal nonconforming signs until they are removed but not to encourage their survival unless the City Council has otherwise provided; and where the City Council has so otherwise provided, the remaining provisions of this section shall not apply.
(1) It is recognized that there exists within the city signs which were lawful before this chapter was passed or amended which would be prohibited, regulated, or restricted under the terms of this chapter or future amendments. Such signs are declared by this chapter to be incompatible with signs permitted within the city. It is further the intent of this chapter that nonconformities shall not be enlarged upon, expanded or extended.
(2) A nonconforming sign shall not be extended or enlarged after passage of this chapter.
(B) No nonconforming sign:
(1) Shall have the face or faces changed when such sign is of a type of construction which requires a complete change of face after the effective date of this chapter;
(2) Shall be structurally altered so as to prolong the life of the sign or so as to change the shape, size, type or design of the sign. Nonconformities shall not be enlarged upon, expanded or extended;
(3) Shall be re-established or utilized after the activity, business or usage to which it relates has been discontinued for 90 days or longer; and
(4) If destroyed by any means, shall be reconstructed as it existed previous to the destruction. It shall be reconstructed only in conformity with the provision of this chapter. Likewise, should any sign be moved for any reason for any distance whatever, it shall thereafter conform to this chapter.
(C) The following types of signs shall be removed within 30 days of the effective date of this chapter:
(1) Tripod, sandwich board and portable signs;
(2) Temporary signs which do not conform to § 152.22 of this chapter;
(D) No person shall be required to remove a sign which was erected in compliance with this chapter if the sign becomes nonconforming due to a change occurring after the effective date of this chapter in the location of buildings, streets or other signs which change is beyond the control of the owner of the sign and the premises on which it is located.
(E) If the owner of a sign or the premises on which a sign is located changes the location of the building, property line or sign, or changes the use of a building so that any sign on the premises is rendered nonconforming, such sign shall be made to conform to this chapter.
(Ord. passed 6-14-88) Penalty, see § 152.99