Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) As used in this section, YARD WASTE includes and is limited to leaves, grass clippings, wood chips, and garden waste such as weeds and stalks. YARD WASTE does not include tree and shrub branches. OTHER WASTE includes paper, plastic, domestic waste, waste oil, tires, construction waste, lumber, and every other type of garbage, rubbish, or refuse not specifically within the definition of YARD WASTE, other than tree and shrub branches.
(B) Burning of yard waste is prohibited within the corporate limits of the village, except in areas which are zoned P-1 under the zoning regulations of this code of ordinances.
(C) The burning of other waste is prohibited at all times in all areas within the corporate limits of the village.
(D) Burning of yard waste in areas which are zoned P-1 under the zoning regulations of this code of ordinances is subject to the following regulations:
(1) Burning of yard waste is permitted Wednesday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Each fire must be completely extinguished by 7:00 p.m., Wednesday through Friday, and 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.
(2) No burning of yard waste is permitted on any state or national holiday.
(3) No burning of yard waste is permitted when the wind is in excess of 12 mph.
(4) Burning of yard waste must be personally supervised at all times by a person at least 14 years of age.
(5) Persons burning yard waste shall do so with due regard for the safety of others and shall take appropriate precautions to insure that the fire is contained at all times.
(6) The burning of yard waste producing obnoxious orders or emitting excessive smoke is prohibited.
(7) Burning of yard waste shall be conducted so as not to create a visibility hazard on any roadway, sidewalk or private drive.
(8) No yard waste may be burned, except yard waste which was generated on the zoning lot where the burning occurs.
(E) Burning of tree and shrub branches in all areas of the village is subject to the following regulations:
(1) Burning of branches is permitted Wednesday through Saturday.
(2) Persons burning branches shall do so with due regard for the safety of others and shall take appropriate precautions to insure that the fire is contained at all times.
(F) The Village Police Department is charged with the responsibility of monitoring and enforcing this section. The Village Police Department may order the extinguishment of any fire which, in the opinion of the officer on duty, violates this section.
(G) Burning of yard waste, other waste and branches within the village in violation of this section is declared a nuisance.
(Ord. 93-47, passed 9-28-93; Am. Ord. 03-78, passed 12-16-03) Penalty, see § 97.99