Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No massage establishment shall be issued a license, nor be operated, established or maintained within the village, unless said establishment complies with each of the following minimum requirements:
(1) Construction of room used for toilets, tubs, steam baths and showers shall be made waterproof with approved waterproof materials and shall be installed in accordance with the building code of the Village of Chatham.
(2) All massage tables, bathtubs, shower stalls, steam or bath areas, lavatories, and floors shall have surfaces which may be readily disinfected.
(3) Adequate bathing, dressing, locker, and toilet facilities shall be provided for patrons to be served at any given time. In the event male and female patrons are to be served simultaneously, separate bathing, dressing, locker, toilet, and massage room facilities shall be provided. Separate toilet and lavatory facilities shall be maintained for personnel.
(4) The premises shall have adequate equipment for disinfecting and sterilizing non-disposable instruments and materials used in administering massages. Such non-disposable instruments and materials shall be disinfected after use on each patron.
(5) Closed cabinets shall be provided and used for the storage of clean linen, towels, and other materials used in connection with administering massages. All soiled linens, towels, and other materials shall be kept in properly covered containers or cabinets, which shall be kept separate from the clean storage areas.
(6) Toilet facilities shall be provided within the massage establishment in convenient locations. When five or more employees and patrons of different sexes are on the premises at the same time, separate toilet facilities shall be provided. A single water closet per sex shall be provided for each 20 or more employees or patrons of that sex on the premises at any one time. Urinals may be substituted for water closets after one water closet has been provided. Toilet facilities shall be designated as to the sex accommodated therein.
(7) Lavatories or washbasins shall provide both hot and cold running water and shall be installed in the toilet room. Lavatories or washbasins shall be provided with a soap dispenser and sanitary towels.
(8) The premises shall be equipped with a service sink for custodial service.
(B) The department of buildings and inspections, the fire department, the county department of health, and the department of planning and community development shall certify that the proposed massage establishment complies with all the requirements of the village Code with respect to the provisions that each respective department administers, and shall send such certification to the chief of police or his designee, who shall then provide such certification together with the recommendation to the mayor for review and final determination whether to grant or deny the application for a license under this chapter. The chief of police or his designee shall also provide a copy of the certification and recommendation to the Village Clerk.
(Ord. 19-33, passed 11-12-19)