Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) The Council shall make the following appointments in accordance with the Indiana Code and ordinances of the City:
(1) One person shall be appointed to the Board of Zoning Appeals pursuant to I.C., 36-7-4-902.
(2) One person shall be appointed to the Carmel Economic Development Commission pursuant to I.C., 36-7-12-5.
(3) One member of the Common Council shall be appointed to serve on the Plan Commission pursuant to I.C., 36-7-4-207(a)(1). The term of such appointment shall be two (2) years, however, the appointee shall not immediately succeed himself or herself.
(4) Two persons shall be appointed to serve on the Carmel Redevelopment Commission pursuant to I.C., 36-7-14-6.1(a)(2). The term of each appointment shall be one (1) year and until a successor is appointed. However, if the appointee is a member of the Carmel Common Council, the appointee shall serve no more than two (2) consecutive one-year terms.
(5) One person shall be appointed to the Library Board pursuant to I.C., 36-12-2.
(6) One member of the Common Council shall be appointed to the Carmel Cable Television Advisory Committee pursuant to Carmel City Code § 2-21(a)(2).
(7) One person shall be appointed to the City of Carmel Civilian Fire Merit Board pursuant to Carmel City Code § 6-33(c)(1).
(8) One person shall be appointed to the City of Carmel Civilian Police Merit Board pursuant to Carmel City Code § 6-33(c)(1).
(b) Upon the resignation of any Council appointee, the Council shall select a replacement whose term shall extend only until the end of the original appointee's prescribed term of office.
(c) In the absence of State statutes to the contrary, the Common Council reserves the right to remove and/or replace any of its appointees to Boards or Commissions with cause at any time. Such removal or replacement shall require at least a two- thirds majority of the Council's membership.
(d) Annual report to Council. The Library Board appointee shall present to the Council an annual written report that provides a detailed and full accounting of the Board's actions and activities during the previous year. This report shall be presented to the Council at its second meeting in February, by placing a copy of the same in each Councilor's individual Council packet and by having a Board representative present at each such Council meeting to orally present the report and to answer any questions raised about the report and/or the activities of the Board. Minutes of each meeting shall be provided to each Council member via email and shall be placed on the City website.
(e) Notwithstanding the term limits for individuals appointed under subsections (a)(3) and (a)(4), if the Common Council of the City of Carmel desires to extend an appointment of an individual in excess of the limits set forth in subsections (a)(3) and (a)(4), respectively, the Council may do so by simple majority vote. If an appointee’s term is extended under this subsection, it shall be noted on the appointment documentation and shall be for the same term period as the original appointment.
(`91 Code, § 3-30) (Ord. D-362, § III E, 3-22-83; Ord. D-1252, 12-2-96; Ord. D-1743-05, 2-21-05; Ord. D-2198-14, As Amended, § 7, 6-1-15; Ord. D-2245-15, As Amended, 2-1-16; Ord. D-2406-17, § 2, 1-8-18)