Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Intent of district. It is the intent of this section that the FA Zoning District be utilized for the general development of rural areas in and around the town. The regulations which apply within this district are designed:
(1) To encourage the formation and continuance of a compatible environment for rural areas;
(2) To provide the suitable services, commercial and otherwise, to residents of FA Districts; and
(3) To discourage incompatible housing developments, commercial and/or industrial operations or other uses capable of adversely affecting the basic rural character of the district.
(B) Permitted uses. The following uses shall be permitted in any FA Zoning District subject to the development standards in § 151.051:
(1) All uses permitted in a CP Conservation-Preservation District, as shown in § 151.050;
(2) All uses permitted, by right or by conditional use in a FC Zoning District, as shown in § 151.051;
(3) One-family dwelling located on a lot containing not less than two acres of land;
(4) One-family dwelling, accessory to farm operation on same property with farm and occupied by full-time owners and laborers on the farm;
(5) One-family dwelling located on a lot containing not less than one acre of land, if the structure is connected to a public water system;
(6) Individual mobile homes used for permanent residential purposes on individual lots containing not less than two acres of land; and
(7) Commercial businesses or related activities existing at the time of passage of this chapter.
(C) Conditional uses. The following uses shall be permitted in any FA Zoning District; subject to conditions set forth herein below and in § 151.164:
(1) Junkyards; provided that:
(a) They are not within 2,000 feet of a church, historic landmark, public park or any residential use or district;
(b) No open storage or discarded material exists;
(c) No open storage of any material subject to transfer by natural elements exists; and
(d) All outside activities and materials are fully screened by fences, trees, beams or natural landscaping at installation.
(2) Commercial kennels, stockyards and slaughter houses; provided that:
(a) They are not located within 2,000 feet of a residential use;
(b) They are properly buffered from all adjoining land uses at inception of operations;
(c) No outside storage of waste is allowed; and
(d) They shall meet or exceed all federal and state standards and be fully permitted before starting operations.
(3) Institutional uses; provided that, the Town Council has approved a site plan including;
(a) A transportation plan;
(b) An emergency and evacuation plan;
(c) Proper buffering;
(d) A lighting plan;
(e) Potential recreation facilities;
(f) An environmental impact study including steps necessary to implement recommendations; and
(g) Utility requirements and how they will be provided.
(4) Uses permitted by right or by condition in a LI District; provided, all requirements and standards of that district, § 151.164 and the following conditions are met:
(a) The Planning Commission finds that location of the use will not adversely impact surrounding areas; and
(b) A site plan demonstrating building materials, traffic circulation and buffering has been approved by the Planning Commission.
(D) Prohibited uses.
(1) Hazardous and nuclear waste facilities and disposal sites are prohibited in the town to the fullest extent allowed under state and federal law;
(2) Landfills and inert dump sites; and
(3) Facilities involving the discharge of firearms.
(E) Development standards. Unless relief is granted elsewhere in this chapter, structures permitted in RD Zoning Districts shall be required to conform to the standards for the LI District.
(Ord. 97-04, passed 12-19-1996)