Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose. The intent of the BI Basic Industrial District is to promote the development and continued use of land for large-scale basic or primary industrial purposes which involve extensive manufacturing, processing or assembly operations; and preserve undeveloped sizable tracts of land with industrial potential for industrial uses.
(B) Permitted uses. The following uses shall be permitted in any BI Zoning District:
(1) Any use permitted in any BI Zoning District, subject to the standards set forth in this section;
(2) Any industrial use plus operations incidental to the use, which involves manufacturing, processing or assembly operations or the storage and sale of heavy materials, products or equipment; but not including junk or salvage yards or uses which may cause injurious or obnoxious noise, vibration, smoke, gas, fumes, odor, dust, fire hazards, dangerous radiation or other conditions objectionable to nearby areas, except under conditions as specified in division (C) below;
(3) Warehouse; and
(4) Bulk storage of petroleum products.
(C) Conditional uses. The following uses shall be permitted on a conditional basis in any BI Zoning District, subject to the conditions set forth in § 151.164:
(1) Retail or wholesale business or service; provided, the business or service is incidental to a permitted industrial use and is located on the same premises;
(2) Truck terminal; provided that, paved acceleration and deceleration lanes at least ten feet in width and 100 feet in length, respectively, are furnished and maintained where trucks enter or leave terminal sites; provided, no safety hazard is produced on any access road; and, provided, sites for the facilities have direct access to major streets;
(3) Private recreation facility; provided, the facility is incidental to a permitted use and located on the same premises;
(4) Any industrial use, plus operations incidental to the use, which may produce injurious or obnoxious noise, vibration, smoke, gas, fumes, odor, dust, fire hazard, dangerous radiation or other objectionable conditions; provided, the objectionable conditions do not adversely affect adjoining properties; provided, the use is located at least 400 feet from any abutting property line; and, provided, the use is located on a site at least ten acres in size;
(5) Open yard use for the sale, rental and/or storage of new, used or salvage materials, or equipment; provided, no burning of material or products is conducted on the premise; and, in case of open storage of used or salvaged materials and/or equipment; provided, a fence or wall of at least six feet in height above finish grade will be required along all property lines, of the consistency as to completely hide the use of the property from public view;
(6) Warehouse or other salvage facility; provided that, there is no open storage of junk or salvage material of any type in conjunction with the operation;
(7) Watchperson or caretaker’s one-family or two-family dwelling; provided that, such a dwelling is located on the premises of a permitted use; and, provided, the head of the household is employed by the industry as a watchperson or caretaker;
(8) Dwelling incidental to a permitted agricultural or horticultural use; provided that, the related dwellings are occupied only by persons employed directly on the premises; and
(9) Garage or shop for the repair and servicing of motor vehicles, equipment or machine parts provided any open yard storage incidental to an operation conforms to the provisions of division (C)(5) above; and, provided, no objectionable sound, vibration, heat, glare or electrical disturbance is created which is perceptible beyond the premises.
(D) Other requirements. Unless relief is granted elsewhere in this chapter, uses permitted in BI Basic Industrial Zoning Districts shall be required to conform to the following standards:
(1) Minimum lot area: 25,000 square feet;
(2) Minimum lot width measured at the building line: 100 feet;
(3) Minimum front yard measured from the nearest abutting street right-of-way line: 25 feet;
(4) Minimum side yard: no less than ten feet on each side; except that, when the property abuts another zoning district, 30 feet shall be required. Where the district abuts any residential district not separated by a right-of-way, a suitable planting screen, fence or wall of at least six feet in height above finish grade will be required. For side yard requirements pertaining to corner lots, see §§ 151.122 and 151.124;
(5) Minimum rear yard: 15 feet; except that, where the property abuts another zoning district, 30 feet shall be required. Where the district abuts any residential district not separated by a right-of-way, a suitable planting screen, fence or wall of at least six feet in height above finish grade will be required. For rear yard requirements pertaining to double frontage lots, see § 151.124;
(6) Maximum building height: no more than 60 feet, unless approved by the Town Council. For exceptions to height regulations, see § 151.141;
(9) Nuisance: no use shall be allowed in a BI Zoning District that would constitute a nuisance to neighboring land uses because of noise, glare, fire, odor, sound, vibrations or excess and unsafe traffic. Standards for these uses are included in Appendix A to this chapter.
(Ord. 97-04, passed 12-19-1996)