Skip to code content (skip section selection)
In the construction of this code of ordinances and of all subsequent ordinances and resolutions passed by the City Council, the following rules shall be observed, unless such construction would be inconsistent with the manifest intent of said City Council.
1. Chief of Police or Police Chief. Reference to the “Chief of Police” or the “Police Chief” shall mean the Chief of Police or the police officer in charge of the police force of the city.
2. City, town or municipality. The words the “city”, the “town” or the “municipality” shall mean the City of Cache, in Comanche County, Oklahoma.
3. City Attorney, Town Attorney or Municipal Attorney. Reference to the “City Attorney”, the “Town Attorney” or the “Municipal Attorney” shall mean the City Attorney of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
4. City Clerk, Town Clerk or Clerk of the municipality. Reference to the “City Clerk”, the “Town Clerk” or the “Clerk of the Municipality” shall mean the City Clerk of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
5. City Clerk, Town Clerk-Treasurer or Clerk of the municipality. Reference to the “City Clerk”, the “Town Clerk-Treasurer” or the “Clerk of the Municipality” shall mean the City Clerk-Treasurer of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
6. City Council, Council, Town Board of Trustees or Town Board. The words “City Council”, “Council”, “Town Board of Trustees” or “Town Board” shall mean the governing body of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
7. City Treasurer, Town Treasurer or Treasurer. Whenever reference is made to the “City Treasurer”, the “Town Treasurer” or the “Treasurer”, it shall mean the City Treasurer of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
8. City Treasurer, Town Clerk-Treasurer or Clerk-Treasurer. Whenever reference is made to the “City Treasurer”, the “Town Clerk-Treasurer” or the “Clerk-Treasurer”, it shall mean the City Clerk-Treasurer of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
9. Code. Reference to “this code” or “the code” shall mean the code of ordinances of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
10. Computation of time. Whenever notice is required to be given (or an act to be done) a certain length of time before any proceeding shall be had, the day on which such notice is given (or such act is done) shall be excluded in computing the time, but the day on which such proceeding is to be had, shall be included.
11. County. Reference to the terms “county”, “the county” or “this county” shall mean Comanche County, Oklahoma.
12. Court or Municipal Court. The words “Court” or “Municipal Court” shall mean the Municipal Court of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
13. Gender. A word importing the masculine gender only shall extend, and be applied to, females, firms, partnerships and corporations, as well as to males.
14. Health Officer or Health Department. Wherever reference is made to the “Health Officer” or the “Health Department”, it shall be construed as meaning the County Sanitarian or County Health Department, unless specific reference is made to the appointed Health Officer of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
15. Highway. The term “highway” shall include any street, alley, highway, avenue, public place, square, bridge, underpass or overpass in the city, dedicated or devoted to public use.
16. Joint authority. Words purporting to give joint authority to three or more officers or other persons, shall be construed as giving such authority to a majority of such officers or other persons, unless it is otherwise declared.
17. Judge. The word “Judge” shall mean the Judge of the Municipal Court of the City of Cache, Oklahoma, including the Acting Judge and/or Alternate Judge thereof, as provided by Oklahoma Statutes and this code of ordinances.
18. Judicial district. The term “judicial district” shall mean the District Court Judicial District of the State of Oklahoma, wherein the situs of government of the City of Cache, Oklahoma, is situated.
19. May. The word “may” is permissive; the word “shall” is mandatory.
20. Mayor. Whenever reference is made to the “Mayor”, it shall mean the Chief Executive Officer of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
21. Month. The word “month” shall mean a calendar month.
22. Number. Any word importing the singular number shall include the plural and any word importing the plural number shall include the singular, except where a contrary intention plainly appears.
23. Oath. The word “oath” shall be construed to include an affirmation in all cases in which, by law, an affirmation may be substituted for an oath; in such cases, the words “swear” and “sworn” shall be equivalent to the words “affirm” and “affirmed”.
24. Officers, departments and the like. Whenever any officer, department, board, commission or other agency is referred to by title alone, such reference shall be construed as if followed by the words “of the City of Cache, Oklahoma”.
25. Or, and. “Or” may be read “and”, and “and” may be read “or”, if the sense requires it.
26. Owner. The word “owner”, applied to a building or land, shall include any part owner, joint owner, tenant in common, tenant in partnership, joint tenant or tenant by the entirety, of the whole or of a part of such building or land.
27. Person. The word “person” shall extend, and be applied to, associations, corporations, firms, partnerships and bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. Whenever used with respect to any penalty, the word “person”, applied to partnerships or associations, shall mean the partners and members thereof, and as applied to corporations, the officers thereof.
28. Police officer. Reference to a “police officer” shall mean the Chief of Police or any police officer of the City of Cache, Oklahoma.
29. Preceding or following. The words “preceding” or “following” shall mean next before and next after, respectively.
30. Roadway. The word “roadway” shall mean that portion of a street improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic.
31. Sidewalk. The word “sidewalk” shall mean any portion of the street right-of-way between the curb (or lateral line of the roadway) and the adjacent property line, intended for the use of pedestrians.
32. Signature or subscription. The words “signature” or “subscription” shall include a mark when a person cannot write.
33. State. The words “state”, “the state” or “this state” shall mean the State of Oklahoma.
34. Statutory reference. Reference to the Statutes of the State of Oklahoma means the statutes as they now are or as they may be amended to be; a reference to the 1981 Statutes also means the comparable provision when included in future codifications or supplementations of said statutes.
35. Street. The term “street” shall include any highway, alley, street, avenue, public place, underpass or overpass in the city, dedicated or devoted to public use.
36. Tense. Words used in the past or present tense shall include the future, as well as the past and present.
37. Written or in writing. The terms “written” or “in writing” shall be construed to include any representation of words, letters or figures, whether by printing or otherwise.
38. Year. Unless otherwise designated, the word “year” shall mean a calendar year.