Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Intent. This district is composed of certain land along highways, major thoroughfares or parcels near major thoroughfares with adequate isolation from adjoining residential uses, intended for uses necessary or convenient to service the residents of the community and those commercial establishments which are of a similar nature in their service to the public.
(B) Permitted uses.
(1) Convenience and comparison retail sales and services;
(2) Office buildings, mortuary, bank;
(3) Produce stand, greenhouse;
(4) Laundry and dry cleaning;
(5) Plumbing, electrical, welding, repair shop;
(6) Printing or publishing;
(7) Drink and restaurant establishments;
(8) Train, bus or taxi terminal or dispatching;
(9) Lumber, or building supply yards screened;
(10) Hotel, motel, tourist or boarding house;
(11) Institutional or public uses or essential service; and
(12) Repairs, processing and uses accessory to the above uses on the premises.
(C) Special land uses. Refer to § 154.09.
(1) Amusement, club, recreation;
(2) Warehouse, distribution or storage of goods; and
(3) Dispensing of vehicle propellants and/or heating fuels.
(D) Required conditions.
(1) All permitted uses shall be conducted within the confines of a building or within an enclosure which screens any outdoor operations or storage of materials from the view of adjoining streets or properties. The foregoing shall not apply to permitted automotive sales areas, convenience store, fuel dispensing site, vehicle repair shop, the sale of produce and plants in semi-open structures or drive-in retail establishments serving the customer from his or her vehicle. A chain link or decorative fence of sufficient density to keep discarded debris within the confines of a site shall be provided for outdoor eating establishments or uses which are likely to have the debris.
(2) Parking: refer to § 154.08.
(3) Signs: refer to Chapter 152.
(4) Existing dwellings, existing transient rooming houses and existing apartments shall meet the provisions of the R-3 District and special land uses within the R-3 District.
(5) Lot width, lot area, and yards shall meet or exceed the requirements of § 154.06 and meet the provisions in the general provisions §§ 154.29 through 154.58. In the B-3 District, a building erected upon a lot existing at the date of adoption of this chapter shall set back 60 feet or a distance equal to one-fourth of the existing lot depth, whichever is the lesser, provided that no such front yard shall be less than 25 feet nor include any part of the lot excluded in the general provisions.
(6) Height: refer to § 154.06.
(E) Prohibited uses. Any use other than specified in divisions (B) and (C) above is prohibited. The following uses are expressly prohibited:
(1) Manufacturing or industrial uses or processes which are not clearly incidental and subordinate to a wholesale or retail business use on the premises;
(2) Outdoor storage of motor vehicles in need of repair or in inoperable condition;
(3) Any use which emits odors, fumes, smoke, dust, vibration or noise in excess of normal traffic noise; and
(4) Any use which is prohibited in the I District.
(Ord. 161, passed 12-10-2001)