Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Intent. This district is established to create and preserve a central business district convenient and attractive for a wide range of retail uses and business, government and professional offices and places of amusement in a setting conducive to and safe for a high volume of pedestrian traffic with limited residential use.
(B) Permitted uses.
(1) Convenience and comparison retail sales and services;
(2) Office buildings, mortuary, bank;
(3) Laundry and dry cleaning;
(4) Printing and publishing;
(5) Drink and restaurant establishments;
(6) Train, bus or taxi terminal or dispatching;
(7) Institutional or public services;
(8) Essential services;
(9) Repairs, processing and uses accessory to the above uses on the premises; and
(10) Hotels, motels.
(C) Special land uses. Refer to § 154.09.
(1) Amusement, club, recreation; and
(2) Apartments above stores.
(D) Required conditions.
(1) All permitted uses shall be conducted within the confines of a building or within an enclosure which screens any outdoor operations or storage of materials from the view of adjoining streets or properties. The foregoing shall not apply to permitted automotive sales areas, convenience store, fuel dispensing site, vehicle repair shop, the sale of produce and plants in semi-open structures or drive-in retail establishments serving the customer from his or her vehicle. A chain link or decorative fence of sufficient density to keep discarded debris within the confines of a site shall be provided for outdoor eating establishments or uses which are likely to have the debris.
(2) Parking: refer to § 154.08.
(3) Signs: refer to Chapter 152.
(4) Existing dwellings, existing transient rooming housing and existing apartments shall meet the provisions of the R-3 District and special land uses within the R-3 District.
(6) Height: refer to § 154.06.
(E) Prohibited uses. Any use other than specified in divisions (B) and (C) above is prohibited. The following uses are expressly prohibited:
(1) Manufacturing or industrial uses or processes which are not clearly incidental and subordinate to a wholesale or retail business use on the premises;
(2) Outdoor storage of motor vehicles in need of repair or in inoperable condition;
(3) Any use which emits odors, fumes, smoke, dust, vibration or noise in excess of normal traffic noise;
(4) Any use which is prohibited in the I District; and
(5) Transient rooming houses and mobile home parks.
(Ord. 161, passed 12-10-2001)