(A)   The Planning Commission shall consist of five members who shall represent, insofar as is possible, the different professions or occupations in the city and who shall be residents of the city, who shall be chosen by the Mayor with the approval of a majority vote of the elected members of the City Council. Two of the regular members may be residents of the area over which the city is authorized to exercise extraterritorial zoning and subdivision regulations. When there is a sufficient number of residents in the area over which the municipality exercises extraterritorial zoning and subdivision regulation, one regular member of the Commission shall be a resident from such area. If it is determined by the City Council that a sufficient number of residents reside in the area subject to extraterritorial zoning or subdivision regulation, and no such resident is a regular member of the commission, the first available vacancy on the commission shall be filled by the appointment of such an individual. For purposes of this section, a sufficient number of residents shall mean 500 residents. A number of Commissioners equal to a majority of the number of regular members appointed to the Commission shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of any business. All members of the Commission shall serve without compensation and shall hold no other municipal office except when appointed to serve on the Board of Adjustment as provided in Neb. RS 19-908. The term of each regular members shall be three years. All regular members shall hold office until their successors are appointed. Any member may, after a public hearing before the City Council, be removed by the mayor with the consent of a majority vote of the members elected to the City Council for inefficiency, neglect of duty or malfeasance in office, or other good and sufficient cause. Vacancies occurring otherwise than through the expiration of term shall be filled for the unexpired portion of the term by the Mayor.
   (B)   There shall also be one alternate member to the Planning Commission who shall be chosen by the Mayor with the approval of a majority vote of the elected members of the Council. The alternate member shall serve without compensation and shall hold no other municipal office. The term of the alternate member shall be three years, and he or she shall hold office until his or her successor is appointed and approved. The alternate member may be removed from office in the same manner as a regular member. If the alternate member position becomes vacant other than through the expiration of the term, the vacancy shall be filled for the unexpired portion of the term by the Mayor with the approval of a majority vote of the elected members of the City Council. The alternate member may attend any meeting and may serve as a voting and participating member of the Commission at any time when less than the full number of regular commission members is present and capable of voting.
   (C)   The Commission shall elect its Chairperson from its members and create and fill such other of its offices as it may determine. The term of the Chairperson shall be one year, and he or she shall be eligible for reelection. The Commission shall hold at least one regular meeting in each calendar quarter, except the municipal governing body may require the commission to meet more frequently and the Chairperson of the Commission may call for a meeting when necessary to deal with business pending before the Commission. The Commission shall adopt rules and regulations for the transaction of business and shall keep a record of its resolutions, transactions, findings, and determinations, which shall be a public record.
   (D)   (1)   The Council may provide the funds, equipment and accommodations necessary for the work of the Commission, but the expenditures of the Commission, exclusive of gifts, shall be within the amounts appropriated for that purpose by the Council; and no expenditures nor agreements for expenditures shall be valid in excess of such amounts. The Planning Commission shall:
         (a)   Make and adopt plans for the physical development of the municipality, including any areas outside its boundaries which in the commission's judgment bear relation to the planning of such municipality and including a comprehensive development plan as defined by Neb. RS 19-903;
         (b)   Prepare and adopt such implemental means as a capital improvement program, subdivision regulations, building codes, and a zoning ordinance in cooperation with other interested municipal departments; and
         (c)   Consult with and advise public officials and agencies, public utilities, civic organizations, educational institutions, and citizens with relation to the promulgation and implementation of the comprehensive development plan and its implemental programs.
      (2)   The Commission may delegate authority to any such group to conduct studies and make surveys for the Commission, make preliminary reports on its findings, and hold public hearings before submitting its final reports. The municipal governing body shall not take final action on matters relating to the comprehensive development plan, capital improvements, building codes, subdivision development, the annexation of territory, or zoning until it has received the recommendation of the Planning Commission if such Commission in fact has been created and is existent. The governing body shall by ordinance set a reasonable time within which the recommendation from the Planning Commission is to be received. A recommendation from the Planning Commission shall not be required for subdivision of existing lots and blocks whenever all required public improvements have been installed, no new dedication of public rights-of-way or easements is involved, and such subdivision complies with the ordinance requirements concerning minimum areas and dimensions of such lots and blocks, if the governing body has designated, by ordinance, an agent pursuant to Neb. RS 19-916. The Commission may, with the consent of the governing body, in its own name:
         (a)   Make and enter into contracts with public or private bodies;
         (b)   Receive contributions, bequests, gifts, or grant funds from public or private sources;
         (c)   Expend the funds appropriated to it by the municipality;
         (d)   Employ agents and employees; and
         (e)   Acquire, hold, and dispose of property.
   (E)   The Commission may on its own authority make arrangements consistent with its program, conduct or sponsor special studies or planning work for any public body or appropriate agency, receive grants, remuneration, or reimbursement for such studies or work, and at its public hearings, summon witnesses, administer oaths, and compel the giving of testimony. The Commission may grant conditional uses or special exceptions to property owners for the use of their property if the municipal governing body has, through a zoning ordinance or special ordinance, generally authorized the Commission to exercise such powers and has approved the standards and procedures adopted by the Commission for equitably and judiciously granting such conditional uses or special exceptions. The granting of a conditional use permit or special exception shall only allow property owners to put their property to a special use if it is among those uses specifically identified in the zoning ordinance as classifications of uses which may require special conditions or requirements to be met by the owners before a use permit or building permit is authorized. The power to grant conditional uses or special exceptions shall be the exclusive authority of the Commission, except that the municipal governing body may choose to retain for itself the power to grant conditional uses or special exceptions for those classifications of uses specified in the zoning ordinance. The municipal governing body may exercise such power if it has formally adopted standards and procedures for granting such conditional uses or special exceptions in a manner that is equitable and will promote the public interest. An appeal of a decision by the Commission or municipal governing body regarding a conditional use or special exception shall be made to the district court.
(1973 Code, § 2-102) (Ord. 494, passed 5-8-1980; Ord. 825, passed 6-9-2011)