No buildings or structures or land shall be used and no building or structures shall be hereafter erected, structurally altered or enlarged, except for the following purposes:
A. Principal permitted uses.
1. Uses permitted in the M-1 Zone, § 20.252.020.A. of this title.
2. Manufacturing. Subject to the conditions of this zone, manufacturing, assembling, repairing, testing, processing and warehousing of products in an enclosed building may be conducted, other than those which may be obnoxious or offensive by reason of emission of odor, dust, smoke, gas, noise, vibration or other similar causes detrimental to the public health, safety or general welfare, including but not limited to the following:
Automobiles, trucks and trailers
Battery rebuilding and manufacture
Burial vaults and caskets
Carpets and rugs
Clay pipe and clay products
Glass, but excluding blast furnaces
Graphite and graphite products
Missiles and missile components, excluding explosive fuels
Motors and generators
Sand and lime products
Starch and dextrine
Structural steel products
Wire and wire products
3. Machinery manufacture, including electrical, agricultural, construction, mining and petroleum extraction, air conditioning equipment, dishwashers, dryers, furnaces, heaters, stoves, and washing machines.
4. Machine tool manufacture, including metal lathes, presses and stamping machines, and woodworking machines.
5. Manufacturing of chemicals and chemical products, except those requiring a conditional use permit.
6. Transit and transportation terminals, repair and storage facilities.
7. Lumber processing and woodworking, including planing mills, plywood, veneering, wood preserving, and laminating.
8. Contractors yards and shops, including building, masonry, painting, concrete, electrical, plumbing, refrigeration, roofing, heating and air conditioning.
9. Electrical distribution substations, electrical transmission substations, gas metering and regulating stations, public utility buildings and service and storage yards, and steam electric generating stations including microwave facilities incorporated as part of a public utility installation.
10. Retailing of trucks, campers, and other vehicles and repair thereof.
B. Uses permitted subject to conditional use permit. The following uses are permitted subject to approval of a conditional use permit application in accordance with the provisions of § 20.408.030 of this title:
1. Manufacturing of:
Asphalt or asphalt products
Bronze, babbit metal and similar alloys
Carbolic, hydrochloric, picric and sulfuric acid
Cellulose and celluloid
Cement, lime, gypsum or plaster of paris
Charcoal, lampblack or fuel briquettes
Lacquer, shellac, turpentine, varnish or calcimine (Kalsomine)
Linoleum or oil cloth
Nitrating of cotton and other materials
Rubber (natural or synthetic)
Soap, tallow, grease and lard
2. Storage of:
Automobiles and other vehicles purchased for wrecking operations
House mover's equipment and buildings moved from other locations
Oil or gas within three hundred (300) feet of any residential zone, school or park
Oil or gas in amounts of two thousand five hundred (2,500) barrels or more
Sand, gravel, rock or decomposed granite in amounts of two thousand (2,000) tons or more
Used building materials or secondhand buildings
3. Salvage yards, wrecking and disposal activities of the following kind (not including hazardous waste facilities):
Automobile wrecking and salvage
Dumps, including garbage and trash disposal
Industrial salvage materials, waste metal, rag, clothing, glass, and other salvage operations
Sewage disposal plants
4. Breweries, distilleries and wineries.
5. Heavy metal works of the following kinds:
Drop forge industries
Forges, foundries, and forging works
Metal and metal ore reduction
6. Refining of petroleum and petroleum products.
7. Distilling of alcohol.
8. Asphalt, concrete and earth products activities of the following kinds:
Asphalt batching plants
Concrete mixing and batching plants
Rock crushing plants and aggregate dryers
9. Also the following:
Butane service and filling stations
Radio transmitter towers, higher than fifty (50) feet above ground level
10. Outdoor manufacturing or processing.
11. All industrial uses not specifically listed as principal permitted uses in paragraph A. of this section.
12. Gasoline service stations, subject to the provisions of § 20.228.020.B.3 of this title. (C-N Zone).
13. Notwithstanding § 20.256.030 of this chapter, overnight parking of campers and other pleasure vehicles for not to exceed fourteen (14) nights, where the activity is conducted incidental to a business of repairing such vehicles.
14. Vehicle sales, new and used (outside use permitted).
15. Alcoholic sales; on-sale only.
16. Off-site hazardous waste facility subject to Health and Reactivity rating above three (3) in accordance with the NFPA 704 System, National Fire Protection Association or equivalent.
17. Astrology, fortune-telling, etc.
(Ord. 425, passed 10-14-68; Am. Ord. 464, passed 4-27-70; Am. Ord. 484, passed 5-24-71; Am. Ord. 689, passed 1-15-80; Am. Ord. 761, passed 9-18-84; Am. Ord. 924, passed 8-4-92; Am. Ord. 965, passed 4-4-95; Am. Ord. 1092, passed 5-16-06; Am. Ord. 1154, passed 6-21-11)