(a) Purpose. The following standards are intended to accommodate schools and colleges while protecting the public health, safety, and general welfare of the community.
(b) Review and approval. Schools and colleges must receive conditional use permit approval and either final site and building plan approval or final development plan approval prior to issuance of a building permit.
(1) Schools and colleges may permit use of their facilities by community, civic, charitable or religious organizations outside of normal school instructional hours, subject to necessary permits from state, county and city agencies.
(c) Where allowed. See § 21.209 of this code for the classification of schools or colleges within the zoning districts.
(d) Performance standards.
(1) Compatibility. All new construction or additions to existing structures must be compatible with the scale and character of the surrounding neighborhood and existing structures.
(2) Landscape buffer. A perimeter landscape buffer is required pursuant to screening requirements contained in § 21.301.15(d)(2), where the facility site directly abuts property that is used for single family residential and either zoned or guided for single-family residential use, unless a waiver is obtained pursuant to standards in § 21.301.15(d)(1)(F).
(3) Open and recreation space. All schools must conform to the minimum State guidelines for open space and recreational space.
(4) Phased development. Applications must include information on future construction and projected maximum enrollment.
(5) Additional institutional use standards. See § 21.302.06 for applicable standards.
(6) Compliance with other sections. Schools and colleges must meet applicable standards within city code, including but not limited to:
(A) Refuse and recycling (§ 19.51);
(B) Landscaping (§ 21.301.15);
(C) Exterior storage (§ 19.50);
(D) Height (§ 21.301.10);
(E) Parking (§ 21.301.06); and
(F) Lighting (§ 21.301.07).