Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. In addition to other public nuisances declared by other sections of this code or law, the following are hereby declared to be public nuisances:
1. The sale or offering for sale of unwholesome food or drink; or the keeping of a place where such sales or offerings are made.
2. The sale, offering for sale or furnishing of intoxicating liquor in violation of the state law or ordinances of the town; or the keeping of a place where intoxicating liquor is sold, offered for sale, or furnished in violation of the state law or ordinances of the town.
3. The exposure, display, sale or distribution of obscene pictures, books, pamphlets, magazines, papers, documents, or objects; or the keeping of a place where such are exposed, displayed, sold or distributed.
4. The keeping of a place where persons gamble, whether by cards, slot machines, punchboards or otherwise.
5. The keeping of a place where prostitution, illicit sexual intercourse or other immoral acts are practiced.
6. The keeping of a place where activities in violation of state law or ordinance are practiced or carried on.
7. The public exposure of a person having a contagious disease.
8. The continued making of loud or unusual noises, music or sounds, or strong vibrations which annoy persons of ordinary sensibilities; or the keeping of an animal which makes such noises.
9. The operation or use of any electrical apparatus or machine which materially and unduly interferes with radio or television reception by others.
10. Any use of a street or sidewalk or a place adjacent thereto which causes crowds of people to gather so as to obstruct traffic on such street or sidewalk, or which otherwise obstructs traffic thereon, except as may be authorized by law or ordinances.
11. Permitting water or other liquid to flow or fall, or ice or snow to fall, from any building or structure upon any street or sidewalk where mosquitoes breed or are likely to breed, or which are so constructed, formed, conditioned, or situated as to endanger the public safety.
12. All wells, pools, cisterns, bodies or containers of water in which mosquitoes breed or are likely to breed, or which are so constructed, formed, conditioned or situated as to endanger the public safety.
13. Rank weeds or grass, carcasses, accumulations of manure, refuse or other things which are, or are likely to be, breeding places for flies, mosquitoes, vermin or disease germs, and the premises on which such exist.
14. Any building or structure which is dangerous to the public health or safety because of damage, decay or other condition.
15. Any pit, hole or other thing which is so constructed, formed, conditioned or situated as to endanger the public safety.
16. Any fire or explosion hazard which endangers the public safety.
17. Any occupation or activity which endangers the public peace, health, morals, safety or welfare.
18. Permitting bagworms to be upon any trees or other plants within the town.
19. Permitting foul, noxious or offensive odors to escape from premises; or unusual quantities of dust or other deleterious substances to escape or emanate across the property line upon which the same originates.
20. Any stable or other place where animals are kept that may become obnoxious or annoying to any resident of this town, by reason of any noise or noises made by the animal therein, or by reason of lack of sanitation.
21. The keeping in violation of part 4, chapter 1 of this code, of any dog kennels within this town for the breeding and raising of dogs that shall become offensive or annoying to the public by reason of the barking and noise made by the animals therein contained.
22. Any vault, cesspool or sink used to receive human excrement, slops, garbage, refuse or other filthy substance.
23. Any pond, slop, trash, refuse, cobs, manure, decayed or decaying vegetable matter, left, kept or maintained in such condition as to endanger the public health.
24. The keeping of any hog pen within the limits of this town in violation of this code.
25. Every privy or water closet which shall be in an overflowing, leaking or filthy condition, or in a condition dangerous, injurious or annoying to the comfort, health and welfare of any resident of this town.
26. Any green or unsalted hides of any animal kept in any exposed or open place within the limits of this town.
27. Any unclean, foul, leaking or broken or defective ditch, drain, gutter, slop, garbage or manure barrel, box or other receptacle in this town.
28. Every building or other structure that shall become unsafe and dangerous from fire, decay or other cause, or shall become hazardous from fire, by reason of age, decay or construction, location or other cause, or shall be detrimental to the health, safety or welfare of this town or its inhabitants from any cause.
B. The enumeration in subsection A hereof of certain public nuisances shall be cumulative and not limit other provisions of law or ordinances defining public or private nuisances either in more general or more specific terms. (1998 Code)