For the purpose of the regulations contained in this chapter, the definitions contained in this section shall be observed and applied, except when the context clearly indicates otherwise. Words used in the present tense shall include the future, and words used in the singular shall include the plural, and the plural the singular; the word "shall" is mandatory and not discretionary; the word "may" is permissive; the masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter. Whenever a word or term defined herein appears in the text of this chapter, its meaning shall be construed as set forth in the definition thereof and any word appearing in parenthesis directly thereafter shall be construed in the same manner.
BUILDING OFFICER: The Building and Zoning Enforcement Officer as defined in section 1-6-9 of this Code.
CERTIFIED ARBORIST: A person, who based on training and experience, diagnoses the condition of shade or ornamental trees, evergreens and shrubs and recommends or supervises the treatment of any such trees, or in any manner treats any such trees, by feeding or fertilizing, or by pruning, trimming, bracing, treating cavities or other methods, has passed the ISA certified arborist exam and maintains his or her certification in good standing with the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA).
CERTIFIED FORESTER: A person who practices the art and science of forest stewardship and natural resource management, and who has met the requirements to be a certified forester and maintains his or her certification in good standing with the Society of American Foresters.
CONDITION RATING: The condition of a heritage tree based on a 6-point scale set forth in subsection 4-6-8(B), table B of this chapter with 1 being the best and 6 being the worst, for purposes of determining the health of a heritage tree and whether the tree is subject to regulations contained in this chapter.
DIAMETER BREAST HEIGHT (dbh): The diameter of the trunk of the tree measured in inches at a point of four and one-half feet (41/2') above grade.
GOOD CONDITION: A tree having a condition rating of 1, 2, or 3 as set forth in subsection 4-6-8(B), table B of this chapter. Only trees of those ratings in a woodland will be considered heritage trees.
GROWING SEASON: The optimum planting time for the care and nurture of woody plant stock during any one calendar year is when there is less than about five percent (5%) chance for a frost until there is about ninety five percent (95%) chance for frost.
HERITAGE TREES: Trees of a size, genus and species indigenous to this region, as set forth in subsection 4-6-8(A), table A of this chapter, are determined to be of significant historical and ecological value to the Village of Barrington Hills to be protected trees. Such trees shall be above the minimum good conditions standard as listed of 1, 2 or 3 as set forth in subsection 4-6-8(B), table B of this chapter.
MINIMUM ROOT ZONE: The area beneath a tree having as its center point the center of the trunk of the tree and a radius equal to one foot (1') for every inch of dbh.
SITE: A lot, or contiguous lots, under the control of a common owner, for which a tree removal permit was sought and obtained.
SITE PLAN: A general illustration of the proposed work, its location, the use of the building or structure, and all portions of the site, including but not limited to details of grading, and structural, mechanical, sanitary and electrical work.
SURROUNDING AREA: Shall not include any area which is not on the same site as that for which the tree removal permit was sought and obtained.
TREE: Any self-supporting, woody plant together with its root system, growing upon the earth usually with one trunk, or a multi-stemmed trunk system, supporting definitely formed crown.
TREE PRESERVATION PLAN (TPP): A plan directly overlaid on the site plan indicating the location, species, condition rating and dbh of all heritage trees, and includes a maintenance plan for three (3) growing seasons for all heritage trees, consistent with the sound forestry practices, as found in subsections 4-6-8(C), table C and (D), table D of this chapter.
TREE REMOVAL PERMIT (TRP): The permit required by this chapter in order to remove any heritage tree within a protected woodland.
VILLAGE: The Village of Barrington Hills, in the Counties of Cook, Kane, Lake and McHenry, in the State of Illinois.
WOODLAND: Eight (8) or more heritage trees on a site within circular area having a radius not to exceed 117.8 feet and shall include all such trees within the woodland regardless of the number of such trees. A site may encompass one or more woodlands. (Ord. 19-14, 7-22-2019)