Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The Village of Barboursville first became known as such by virtue of Chapter LXXI of the Acts of the General Assembly of the State of Virginia, passed on January 14, 1813.
Next an amendment thereto known as Chapter 79 of the Acts of the General Assembly of Virginia, passed December 28, 1824, was enacted.
Following the separation of the State of Virginia and the State of West Virginia, a Special Act of the West Virginia Legislature, known as Chapter 16 of the Acts of 1867, was enacted which gave the Village of Barboursville a corporate status.
After the adoption of the present Constitution, in which it is provided that no special charter may be granted by the Legislature to cities, towns or villages unless the population therein is in excess of 2,000 persons, old Chapter 47 of the Code prior to the Code of 1931, provided that any town or village acting under special charter by resolution could adopt the provisions of the general laws of the state, and the Common Council of the Village of Barboursville on May 11, 1903, did so adopt the provisions of the general laws of the state pertaining to the government of Cities, Towns and Villages.
Attention is invited to the fact that in the Official Code of West Virginia, edition of 1931, and all subsequent codes, old Chapter 47, is known as Chapter 8.
Also the Common Council of the Village, in order to provide for the paving of its streets and the installment plan of payment therefor, proposed and at a special election held in the Village on the 26 day of June, 1923, the voters adopted the provisions of Chapter 8 of the Acts of the Legislature of 1908, which is now known as Article 9 of Chapter 8 of the Code of West Virginia, edition of 1931.
And with all of these acts, resolutions and ordinances, and the Charter which follows, the legislative status of the Village of Barboursville is complete.