Skip to code content (skip section selection)
1319.01 RENTAL REGISTRATION.
(a) Purpose. The purpose of this Section 1319.01 and related Sections of this Chapter is to establish guidelines for a mandatory rental unit registration program. Each owner of a rental unit within the city shall register each such rental unit with the City of Aurora Planning, Zoning and Building Division pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(b) Definitions. As used in this chapter,
(1) "Non-owner occupied structure/unit" means any residential structure or dwelling unit which is not physically occupied by the owner of record. This does not apply to vacant structures.
(2) "Dwelling unit" means a single unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons.
(3) "Rental" means any structure/unit occupied for 30 days or more by someone other than the owner of record.
(4) "Immediate family" means persons related by blood, marriage, legal adoption or guardianship, but is limited to father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, grandfather, and grandmother.
(c) Registration Requirements.
(1) All non-owner occupied structures/units shall be registered with the City of Aurora Planning, Zoning and Building Division on a form provided by the city for such purpose.
(2) All existing non-owner occupied structures/units shall be initially registered with the City of Aurora Planning, Zoning and Building Division by December 31, 2020.
(3) Each new owner of a non-owner occupied structure/unit within the city shall make application for registration with the Planning, Zoning, and Building Division within thirty (30) days of acquiring ownership. Each initial application for rental registration shall be accompanied by a nonrefundable fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) for each dwelling unit, not to exceed one-thousand dollars ($1,000).
(4) All non-owner occupied structure/unit registrations shall be renewed every three (3) years by December 31 of that third year after initial registration. The application renewal fee shall be twenty-five dollars ($25.00) per dwelling unit, not to exceed one-thousand dollars ($1,000).
(5) All new non-owner occupied structures/units shall be registered with the City before they shall be permitted to be rented.
(6) These requirements apply regardless of whether any form of payment is or is not tendered.
(7) This section does not apply to immediate family who occupies a dwelling unit or rental of an owner under this section.
(d) Penalty. Whoever violates or fai ls to comply with any of the provisions of this chapter is guilty of a minor misdemeanor pursuant to Chapter 165 of the Aurora Codified Ordinances. (Ord. 2019-191. Passed 2-10-20.)