Skip to code content (skip section selection)
1111.05 MAJOR SITE PLANS.
(a) Major site plans shall be submitted for the following types of major developments.
(1) The issuance of any conditional zoning certificate application, but only if granting the conditional use would result in changes to the site.
(2) The establishment of a new use, or a substantial change of use, on lots located in the C1, C2, C3, I1, T1, O1 zoning districts and in any other locations required by the Zoning Code.
(3) New construction, substantial renovation, or expansion of a building, structure, or other site improvement in the C1, C2, C3, I1, T1, O1 zoning districts and in any other locations required by the Zoning Code. See Chapter 1103 for definitions of “new construction, substantial renovation, or expansion” and “establishment of a new use”.
(4) In the C1, C2, C3, I1, T1, and O1 zoning districts, expansion of an existing building by an additional floor area of one thousand (1000) square feet or more and by ten percent (10%) or more of the existing building floor area.
(5) New construction, substantial renovation, or expansion of any dwelling located on a lot with another dwelling.
(6) The construction of a condominium development for residential, commercial, office, or other use.
(7) Accessory buildings having a floor area of 200 square feet or more;
(8) Any application or development for which the Zoning Code requires review of a site plan.
(9) Any other proposed construction or use which the Planning and Zoning Director or the Director of Engineering, Utilities, and Inspection determine will have impacts or effects similar to other proposals for which site plan review is required and which should be reviewed by the Planning Commission.
(b) Preliminary Site Plan.
(1) Submittal. A preliminary site plan shall be submitted to the Planning and Zoning Director not less than ten (10) business days prior to a scheduled Planning Commission meeting.
(2) Technical Review. The Planning and Zoning Director shall coordinate review of the preliminary site plan, including distribution to other City Staff as appropriate. The Director shall advise the Planning Commission of the adequacy of the plan.
(3) Landmarks. When an application proposes modifications to a structure known or believed to be older than fifty (50) years or which is landmarked or is located in a landmark district, the Director shall transmit a copy of the application to theLandmark Commission. The Landmark Commission shall advise the Director of the historic status of the structure and of any issues which should be considered in the site plan review process.
(c) Final Site Plan.
(1) Submittal. Subsequent to review of the preliminary site plan and at least ten (10) business days prior to a scheduled Planning Commission meeting, the applicant shall submit a final site plan to the Planning and Zoning Director.
(2) Administrative Review.
A. The Planning and Zoning Director shall review the application for completeness and shall advise the applicant that the project may proceed to the Planning Commission.
B. The Director shall distribute the final site plan application to appropriate administrative departments for review and comment. Departments shall return written comments to the Director before the Planning Commission meeting at which the application will be reviewed.
C. The Director shall, after determination that an application is complete, deliver the application to the Planning Commission for review.
(3) Review and Action by the Commission. The Commission shall review the application for conformance with the provisions of these Regulations and the Zoning Code, and shall, within sixty (60) days, take one of the following actions, provided, however, that the applicant may waive this time limit and consent to the extension of such period.
A. Approve the site plan. In approving the proposed site plan, the Commission may prescribe appropriate conditions and safeguards in conformance with the intent and purposes of this Code for the protection of nearby property and the public health, safety and general welfare.
B. Deny the application. In the event of a denial, the Commission shall state on the record the reason(s) for the denial. If the Commission disapproves the Final Site Plan, the applicant may appeal to City Council.
(4) Expiration of Approval. A final site plan shall expire eighteen (18) months from the date of approval unless construction has commenced.
(5) Complex Projects. For a large or multi-phased project or development, a applicant may request and the Planning Commission may agree to an extended site plan review process which includes review, recommendation, of a site plan concept followed by reviews and recommendations for individual final site plans for each phase. In agreeing to such a process, the Commission may establish conditions and require the written concurrence of the applicant.
(6) Revisions. Any site plan may be revised. Revision shall be accomplished in the manner required for an original approval.
(7) Guarantees. The Planning Commission may require, as a condition of site plan approval, that the applicant post bonds or other guarantees to ensure the timely construction of the improvements approved in a site plan. The Commission may establish policies regarding such guarantees to be administered by the Planning and Zoning Director, Director of Engineering, Utilities, and Inspection, or Director of Law.
(8) Concurrent Review, Waiver of Requirements.
A. The Planning Commission may, in the interest of timely, fair, and efficient review of developments, adopt policies for the review of site plans concurrently with other applications, such as for conditional zoning certificates, required for a proposed development.
B. The Planning Commission may waive some or all of the requirements for site plan application and review (as provided in Sections 1111.02, 1111.03, and 1111.04) where the Commission determines that the purpose and intent, and the protection of the community interest, has been satisfied by compliance with other required review procedures. (Ord. 2013-068. Passed 7-8-13.)