Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Pursuant to the provisions of Kentucky Revised Statutes 97.020 and 97.441, there is hereby created the Division of Recreation for the City of Ashland.
(B) The Department of Parks and Recreation shall consist of such officers and employees as shall be provided by the Board of Commissioners of the City of Ashland. The Department of Parks and Recreation shall coordinate, supervise and oversee the recreational use of all public parks and any lands or lots heretofore or hereafter devised and bequeathed to the City of Ashland for park purposes, including, but not limited to, 47th Street Park (Boat Dock), AK Steel Sports Park, C. Wendell Banks Park (a/k/a Southside Park), Norman “Dutch” Berry Park, Central Park, Dawson Park and Pool, East Central Park, Joseph P. Harris Linear Park, Oliverio (formerly Clyffeside) Park, Pollard Mills Park, Riverfront Park (Port of Ashland), Charles and Betty Russell Park, Spring Park and such other city properties as defined by KRS 97.425.
(C) The Department of Parks and Recreation shall be responsible for the scheduling of the use of city facilities and parks and shall be responsible for
the operation and administration of city recreation programs. The Department of Parks and Recreation shall, with the approval of the Board of Commissioners, after consultation with the Park Board, promulgate and post such rules and regulations as is deemed necessary for the conduct of persons in the parks. The Department of Parks and Recreation shall coordinate efforts with the other departments of city government and the office of the City Manager.
(D) Further, there is hereby recreated the position of Park Superintendent. The duties of the Park Superintendent are as follows:
(1) Shall have charge of the care and upkeep of all parks and pools owned by the City of Ashland and shall see that such parks and pools are kept in a clean and well-maintained condition;
(2) Shall report to the Director of the Department of Parks and Recreation when any of the park buildings or equipment need repair;
(3) Shall see that all play areas and facilities are kept in good and safe condition and that all rest rooms and facilities are kept in a clean and sanitary condition;
(4) Shall have supervision over all employees assigned to work in the Department of Parks and Recreation with the exception of the Director; and
(5) Shall coordinate the efforts of the Department of Parks and Recreation with the other departments of city government and the office of the City Manager.
(Ord. 63-2018, passed 4-12-18)