Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) General Use of Terms.
(1) The terms, phrases, words, and their derivations used in this Chapter shall have the meanings given in this section.
(2) Words not defined shall be given their common and ordinary meaning.
(b) Defined Terms.
(1) Abandoned means any Small Cell Facilities or Wireless Support Structures that are unused for a period of three hundred sixty-five days without the Operator otherwise notifying the City and receiving the City's approval.
(2) Antenna means communications equipment that transmits or receives radio frequency signals in the provision of wireless service.
(3) Applicant means any Person applying for a Small Cell Permit hereunder.
(4) City means the City of Worthington.
(5) Collocation or Collocate means to install, mount, maintain, modify, operate, or replace wireless facilities on a Wireless Support Structure.
(6) Decorative Pole means a pole, arch, or structure other than a street light pole placed in the Right of Way specifically designed and placed for aesthetic purposes and on which no appurtenances or attachments have been placed except for any of the following (a) electric lighting; (b) specially designed informational or directional signage; (c) temporary holiday or special event attachments.
(7) Design Guidelines means those detailed design guidelines, specifications and examples adopted by the City Council pursuant to Section 955.04 for the design and installation of Small Cell Facilities and Wireless Support Structures, which are effective insofar as they do not conflict with federal and state law, rules and regulations.
(8) Operator means a wireless service provider, cable operator, or a video service provider that operates a Small Cell Facility and provides wireless service. Operator includes a wireless service provider, cable operator, or a video service provider that provides information services as defined in the "Telecommunications Act of 1996," 110 Stat. 59, 47 U.S.C. 153(2), and services that are fixed in nature or use unlicensed spectrum.
(9) Permittee means the owner and/or Operator issued a Small Cell Permit pursuant to these Chapter and the Design Guidelines.
(10) Person means any natural person or any association, firm, partnership, joint venture, corporation, or other legally recognized entity, whether for-profit or not-for-profit.
(11) Right of Way means the surface of, and the space within, through, on, across, above, or below, any public street, public road, public highway, public freeway, public lane, public path, public alley, public court, public sidewalk, public boulevard, public parkway, public drive, public easement, and any other land dedicated or otherwise designated for a compatible public use, which is owned or controlled by the City of Worthington.
(12) Small Cell Facility means a Wireless Facility that meets both of the following requirements:
A. Each Antenna is located inside an enclosure of not more than six cubic feet in volume or, in the case of an Antenna that has exposed elements, the Antenna and all of its exposed elements could fit within an enclosure of not more than six cubic feet in volume.
B. All other wireless equipment associated with the facility is cumulatively not more than twenty-eight cubic feet in volume. The calculation of equipment volume shall not include electric meters, concealment elements, telecommunications demarcation boxes, grounding equipment, power transfer switches, cut-off switches, and vertical cable runs for the connection of power and other services.
(13) Small Cell Permit means the non-exclusive grant of authority issued by the City of Worthington to install a Small Cell Facility and/or a Wireless Support Structure in a portion of the Right of Way in accordance with these guidelines.
(14) Utility Pole means a structure that is designed for, or used for the purpose of, carrying lines, cables, or wires for electric or telecommunications service. "Utility pole" excludes street signs and Decorative poles.
(15) Wireless Facility means equipment at a fixed location that enables wireless communications between user equipment and a communications network, including all of the following:
A. Equipment associated with wireless communications;
B. Radio transceivers, Antennas, coaxial or fiber-optic cable, regular and backup power supplies, and comparable equipment, regardless of technological configuration.
C. The term does not include any of the following:
(i) The structure or improvements on, under, or within which the equipment is Collocated;
(ii) Coaxial or fiber-optic cable that is between Wireless Support Structures or Utility poles or that is otherwise not immediately adjacent to or directly associated with a particular Antenna.
(16) Wireless Support Structure means a pole, such as a monopole, either guyed or self-supporting, street light pole, traffic signal pole, a fifteen-foot or taller sign pole, or Utility pole capable of supporting Small Cell Facilities. Wireless Support Structure excludes (a) a Utility pole or other facility owned or operated by a municipal electric utility and (b) a Utility pole or other facility used to supply traction power to public transit systems, including railways, trams, streetcars and trolley buses.
(17) Wireline Backhaul Facility means a facility used for the transport of communications service or any other electronic communications by coaxial, fiber-optic cable, or any other wire.
(Ord. 38-2018. Passed 7-16-18.)