Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) From and after the time when the Planning Commission shall have organized and selected its officers and shall have adopted its rules of procedure, the Commission shall have all the powers, duties and responsibilities set forth in Act 487, South Carolina Acts of 1967, as amended, being S.C. Code 6-29-310 through 6-29-380.
(B) In general the Planning Commission shall have the power and duties to:
(1) Prepare and revise periodically a comprehensive plan and program for the development of its jurisdiction;
(2) Prepare and recommend for adoption to the Town Council as a means for implementing the plan and program:
(a) Zoning ordinances or resolutions, and maps and appropriate revisions thereof for its jurisdiction;
(b) Regulations for the subdivision of land and appropriate revisions thereof within its jurisdictions, and to administer the regulations that may be adopted;
(c) An official map and appropriate revision thereof showing the exact location of existing or proposed public street, highway and utility rights-of-way and public building site, together with regulations to control the erection of buildings or other structures or changes in land use within the rights-of-way, building sites or open spaces within its political jurisdiction or a specified portion thereof; and
(d) A capital program for its jurisdiction based on the comprehensive plan and the capital improvements necessary to implement the plan. Such a capital program shall include an annual capital budget, to the Town Council as directed.
(3) Recommend principles and policies for guiding action in the development of the area;
(4) Prepare and recommend to the Town Council for adoption ordinances promoting orderly development in accordance with the comprehensive plan;
(5) Determine whether specific proposed developments conform to the principles and requirements of the comprehensive plan for the growth and improvement of the area;
(6) Review and recommend to the Town Council any needed changes in the zoning ordinance and the official map of the town; as well as the subdivision regulations, official map and other codes, ordinances and controls related to the town’s development; and
(7) Keep the Town Council and the general public informed and advised as to these matters.
(1995 Code, § 5-2005) (Ord. passed 3-17-1987)