Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Within the C Conservancy District, no structure or land shall be used for the following uses, except by conditional use permit:
(A) Environmental education center;
(B) Educational farm;
(C) Maintenance buildings not larger than 1,500 square feet for storage of maintenance equipment, tractors and trucks provided no building shall be located within 100 feet of any property line of abutting property;
(D) Classroom buildings;
(E) Office buildings of general nature where the normal employment or occupancy within the building does not exceed 25 persons and the operations are restricted to employees or volunteers of the organization;
(F) Building and structures which exceed 45 feet in height, except as permitted in § 153.009;
(G) Open storage of farm equipment and machinery, provided the storage shall not be within 300 feet of a public street;
(H) Agriculture uses including barns, animal stables or other structures with such limitations established by the City Council as are consistent with a nature preserve or an educational farm;
(J) Wind turbines with a combined nameplate capacity of less than 40 kilowatts, provided the wind turbine meets the following requirements.
(1) The height of the wind turbine shall not exceed 140 feet as measured from the ground to the top of the tower, the top of the rotor, the top of the blade or the top of any other part of the wind turbine, whichever is highest.
(2) The wind turbine shall be set back from all property lines, buildings, roads, structures, pathways and rights-of-way by a distance that is equal to or greater than 1.1 times the height of the wind turbine as measured from the ground level to the top of the tower, top of the rotor, top of the blade or the top of any other part of the wind turbine, whichever is highest. This setback may be reduced to a distance agreed upon as part of the conditional use permit if the applicant furnishes a registered engineer’s certification that the wind turbine is designed to collapse, fall, curl or bend within a distance or zone shorter than the height of the wind turbine.
(3) The wind turbine must be operated and maintained so that it complies with the noise pollution standards of the State Pollution Control Agency.
(4) The wind turbine must be protected against trespassing to prevent unauthorized climbing.
(5) The wind turbine must be designed and installed to withstand natural lightning strikes.
(6) The wind turbine’s electrical equipment and connections must adhere to all state and federal rules, regulations and standards.
(7) The safety design of all wind turbines must be certified by the manufacturer’s engineer or a certified state professional engineer.
(8) The wind turbine must be in compliance with all Federal Aviation Administration regulations, including lighting and marking regulations, and shall comply with the notification requirements of the Federal Aviation Administration.
(9) The wind turbine’s blade must be a minimum of 12 feet above ground level.
(10) All wind turbines shall be designed and constructed in accordance with all applicable state and federal regulations.
(11) No more than one wind turbine may be located on any one lot.
(Ord. 07-09, passed - -; Ord. passed 10-11-1963)