Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Words used in the present tense include the future, words in the masculine gender include the feminine and neuter, the singular number includes the plural and the plural the singular and the word "shall" is mandatory and not directory.
(b) Where terms are not defined in this section, they shall have their ordinarily accepted meanings or such as the text may imply.
(c) Unless otherwise expressly stated, the following terms shall, for the purpose of this Zoning Code, have the following meanings:
(1) "Accessory use or building" means a subordinate use or building customarily incident to and located upon the same lot occupied by the main use or building.
(2) "Alley" means a dedicated thoroughfare, not more than ten feet wide where required for pedestrian use exclusively and not less than twenty feet wide where required for vehicular use.
(3) "Apartment house" means a building or portion thereof used or intended to be used as the home of three or more families or householders living independently of each other.
(4) "Basement" means a story, partly or wholly below grade. If not occupied as living quarters, it shall not be included as a story for the purpose of height measurement.
(5) "Boarding house" means a building, other than a hotel, where meals are provided for five or more persons, with or without lodging.
(6) "Commission" means the Planning Commission of the City of Waterville.
(7) "Dwelling" means any house or building or portion thereof occupied or to be occupied in whole or in part as the home, residence or sleeping place of one or more persons.
(8) "Dwelling, single-family" means a building designed for or occupied by one family.
(9) "Dwelling, two-family" means a building designed for or occupied by two families.
(10) "Dwelling, multiple" means a building or a portion of a building having three or more dwelling units and designed for or occupied by three or more families living independently of each other.
(11) "Family" means any number of individuals living together as a single housekeeping unit and doing their cooking on the premises.
(12) "Floor area" means the space enclosed within a dwelling used for basic living purposes but exclusive of garages, storage rooms and porches or breezeways, enclosed or unenclosed. The floor area shall be determined by measurement of the exterior walls of the dwelling unit.
(13) "Front property line" means the front lot line as shown upon the official plans of the property.
(14) Front yard" means an open unoccupied space on the same lot with a building, between the front line of the building (exclusive of steps) and the front property line.
(15) "Garage, public" means any premises used for the storage or housing of more than three motor-driven vehicles, or where such vehicles are repaired or kept for hire or sale.
(16) "Grade" means the curb line grade at the front lot line as established by Council.
(17) "Half-story" means a story situated under a sloping roof, the floor area of which does not exceed one half of the floor area of the floor immediately below it and which does not contain an independent apartment. A half-story shall not be counted for the purpose of determining yard dimensions.
(18) "Height of building" means the vertical distance at the building's principal front, measured from the established grade to the highest point of the roof. For buildings set back from the street line, the height may be measured from the average elevation of the finished grade along the front of the building.
(20) "Hotel" means a building occupied as the more or less temporary abiding place of individuals who pay the owner or manager for lodging, with or without meals, and in which there are more than five guest rooms, with no provision for cooking in any individual apartment.
(21) "Institution" means a building or buildings occupied by a nonprofit organization wholly for public use.
(22) "Lodging house" means a building other than a hotel where lodging for five or more persons is provided for compensation.
(23) "Lot" means land occupied or to be occupied by a building and its accessory buildings, including such open spaces as are required under this Zoning Code, and having frontage upon a public thoroughfare.
(24) "Motel" means a building or group of buildings designed and maintained to provide shelter and sleeping accommodations, primarily for transient, automobile travelers.
(25) "Nonconforming use" means a use of land or a building that does not conform to the regulations of the use district in which such land or building is located.
(26) "Setback" means the minimum horizontal distance between the street line and the front line of any building (excluding steps and unenclosed porches extending not more than ten feet beyond the front wall of the building).
(27) "Story" means that portion of a building included between the surface of any floor and the surface of the floor next above it or, if there is no floor above it, then the space between such floor and the ceiling next above it.
(28) "Structure" means anything constructed or erected, the use of which requires a more or less permanent location on the soil, or attachment to something having a permanent location on the soil.
(29) "Structural alteration" means any change in the supporting members of a building, such as bearing walls, columns, beams or girders or the addition of a structural part to a building or the removal of a structural part from a building.
(30) "Trailer park" means a facility offering grounds or accommodations or both for house trailers or house cars, whether occupied as dwellings or stored temporarily or permanently.
(31) "Yard, rear" means an open unoccupied space on the same lot with a building between the rear line of the building (exclusive of steps, porches and accessory buildings) and the rear line of the lot.
(32) "Yard, side" means an open unoccupied space on the same lot with a building between the side wall line of the building and the side line of the same lot.
(33) "Zoning Code" or "Zoning Ordinance" shall be deemed to include, where the text permits, any and all amendments thereto as the same may hereafter from time to time be adopted.
(Ord. 431. Passed 9-4-63.)
(Ord. 431. Passed 9-4-63.)
(34) “Zoning Inspector” means the Municipal Administrator or the Administrator’s designated agent.
(35) “Public utility facility” means any building or premises held, used or controlled exclusively for the maintenance activities of any public water, wastewater, storm drainage, electric, gas, telephone, cable television, wireless telecommunication or other public utility.
(Ord. 14-08. Passed 6-23-08.)
(36) “Building” means any structure, either temporary or permanent, having a roof and used or built for the shelter or enclosure of persons, animals, chattels, or property of any kind. A “building” shall not include structures with interior areas not normally accessible for human use.
(Ord. 35-11. Passed 11-14-11.)
(37) “Premises” means a parcel or parcels constituting a unit of contiguous real property which is not divided by any public street, highway or alley and which either:
A. Is devoted to the same business usage, or
B. Constitutes a shopping or multi-business center.
(Ord. 04-14. Passed 4-14-14.)