Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE. A self-propelled vehicle designed to travel over unimproved terrain
that has been determined by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles to be unsuitable for operation on the public highways and is not eligible for registration under Conn. Gen. Stat. Chapter 246.
DIRT BIKE. a two-wheeled motorized recreational vehicle designed to travel over unimproved terrain and not designed for travel on a highway, as defined in Conn. Gen. Stat. § 14-1. DIRT BIKE does not include an all-terrain vehicle, as defined in Conn. Gen. Stat. § 14-379, or a motor-driven cycle, as defined in Conn. Gen. Stat. § 14-1.
MINI CYCLE. Pocketbikes, miniature (hereafter “mini”) bikes, mini cycles, mini sport bikes, mini motorcycles, chopper scooters, and any other similar wheeled vehicle designed to transport one or more persons that is powered by any type of motor.
MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE. Any motorcycle, motor scooter, or bicycle with an attached motor, with a seat height of not less than 26 inches, and a motor having a capacity of less than 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement.
OPERATE. To control the course of or otherwise use a dirt bike, snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle, motor-driven cycle, mini-cycle, or similar vehicle.
SNOWMOBILE. Any self-propelled vehicle designed for travel on snow or ice, except vehicles propelled by sail.
The terms DIRT BIKE, SNOWMOBILE, ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE, MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE, and MINICYCLE shall not be deemed to include any of the following:
(1) Any registered “motorcycle” as defined in the Conn. Gen. Stat. § 14-1(46);
(2) Any registered “motor vehicle” as defined in Conn. Gen. Stat. § 14-1(47);
(3) Any moped that meets Federal Department of Transportation guidelines for use on streets and is approved by the State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles for use on streets, provided, however, the moped is operated pursuant to all applicable state laws, rules, and regulations and all other City of Waterbury Municipal Ordinances;
(4) Any wheelchair or similar mobility assisting device utilized by a person with a physical disability or whose ambulatory mobility has been impaired due to age or physical ailment;
(5) Any self-propelled snow plow, snow blower or lawn mower when used for the purpose for which it was designed and operated at a speed not to exceed four miles per hour;
(6) Any vehicle owned or leased by the City of Waterbury; and
(7) Any electric personal assistive mobility device (hereinafter “EPAMD”) that is self-balancing, has two non-tandem wheeled devices, is designed to transport only one person, and has an electric propulsion system that limits the maximum speed of the device to 12.5 miles per hour or less.
For the purposes of §§ 100.02 and 100.99 of this chapter, the terms DIRT BIKE, SNOWMOBILE, ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE, MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE, and MINI CYCLE as defined in this section, shall be collectively referred to as MOTORIZED RECREATIONAL VEHICLE(S).
(Ord. passed 6-8-2015)