Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Penalty For Violation Of Ordinance 1 :
1. Specified: The county commissioners may impose a maximum criminal penalty for the violation of any municipal ordinance by a fine not to exceed the maximum class B misdemeanor fine under Utah Code Annotated section 76-3-301 or by a term of imprisonment up to six (6) months, or by both the fine and term of imprisonment.
2. Traffic; Parking:
a. Except as specifically authorized by statute, the legislative body may not impose a civil penalty for the violation of a county traffic ordinance.
b. Subsection A2a of this section does not apply to an ordinance regulating the parking of vehicles on a highway.
B. Term Of Imprisonment For Misdemeanors 2 : A person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor may be sentenced to imprisonment as follows:
1. In the case of a class B misdemeanor, for a term not exceeding six (6) months;
2. In the case of a class C misdemeanor, for a term not exceeding ninety (90) days.
C. Infractions 3 :
1. A person convicted of an infraction may not be imprisoned but may be subject to a fine, forfeiture and disqualification, or any combination.
2. Whenever a person is convicted of an infraction and no punishment is specified, the person may be fined as for a class C misdemeanor.
D. Fines Of Persons 4 : A person convicted of an offense may, in addition to any term of imprisonment imposed, be sentenced to pay a fine not to exceed:
1. Class B Misdemeanor: One thousand dollars ($1,000.00) when the conviction is of a class B misdemeanor conviction; and
2. Class C Misdemeanor; Infraction: Seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00) when the conviction is of a class C misdemeanor conviction or infraction conviction.
E. Fines Of Corporations 5 : The sentence to pay a fine, when imposed upon a corporation, association, partnership or governmental instrumentality for an offense defined in this code, or the ordinances of the county, or for an offense defined outside of this code over which this county has jurisdiction, for which no special corporate fine is specified, shall be to pay an amount fixed by the court, not exceeding:
1. Class B Misdemeanor: Five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) when the conviction is for a class B misdemeanor conviction; and
2. Class C Misdemeanor; Infraction: One thousand dollars ($1,000.00) when the conviction is for a class C misdemeanor conviction or for an infraction conviction. (2004 Code)
1. UCA § 17-53-223.
2. UCA § 76-3-204.
3. UCA § 76-3-205.
1. UCA § 76-3-301.
2. UCA § 76-3-302.